Thread: Battery Calibration

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Battery Calibration

Before Ubuntu 10.04, I was able to set my power management preferences to 'Do Nothing' if the battery reached a 'critical' level. This meant that, in order to calibrate the the battery I could completely empty the battery before recharging. The option to 'do nothing' in no longer available in gnome-power-management for a critical battery level.

This is starting to cause a problem as I haven't been able to properly calibrate my battery in ages and it's really starting to suffer as a result.

I've tried adjusting settings in gconf-editor to set the 'critical' level to 0% but this doesn't seem to work. Can anyone point me in the right direction of how to either re-enable the setting or are there any calibration utilities available for Ubuntu. I don't have the option to calibrate in my BIOS by the way. My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5535
    Registered Ubuntu user #16886

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Battery Calibration

Quote Originally Posted by notoriousdbp View Post
    Before Ubuntu 10.04, I was able to set my power management preferences to 'Do Nothing' if the battery reached a 'critical' level. This meant that, in order to calibrate the the battery I could completely empty the battery before recharging. The option to 'do nothing' in no longer available in gnome-power-management for a critical battery level.

This is starting to cause a problem as I haven't been able to properly calibrate my battery in ages and it's really starting to suffer as a result.

I've tried adjusting settings in gconf-editor to set the 'critical' level to 0% but this doesn't seem to work. Can anyone point me in the right direction of how to either re-enable the setting or are there any calibration utilities available for Ubuntu. I don't have the option to calibrate in my BIOS by the way. My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5535
    Hi, I have the same problem. One possible solution, I'm not sure, is to open the 'system monitor' and to end the process 'power-management', then probably your laptop will be able to consume the very last drop of energy from the battery. However, it might be possible, as the power manager will not be working, that it will not be able to register the actual energy cycle of the battery. Nevertheless, it might work as the chip inside the battery will be working normally and registering the respective data. Any other ideas?
    Last edited by Angelo Maldito; November 21st, 2010 at 12:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try and report back. I assume there must be a reason for removing the 'do nothing' option in gnome-power-manager but if anyone knows how to re-instate the option I'd like to know

Beans
    Distro

Beans

On Ubuntu 10.10, you can recover the 'do nothing' option when the battery critical level is reached by running the gconf-editor under sudo:

sudo gconf-editor
    apps --> gnome-power-manager --> actions

then you will have the choice for the critical-battery action between:

suspend, hibernate, shutdown and nothing

By default, it seems that a given user login cannot set 'nothing' with the simple 'Preferences' battery menu.

Hope that helps...

Beans

I've also read that just draining your battery on the BIOS screen or operating system selection screen can be used to calibrate your battery.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.