Thread: Two For One Thread--Compiz and File Browsing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Two For One Thread--Compiz and File Browsing

Rather than waste space by using two separate threads (unless that's preferred, in which case I will separate them henceforth) I have two questions.

First is that I remember back in my wubi days (oh, those were indeed fun...) I had installed an extra Compiz package which allowed me to deform the desktop cube into a sphere, and raise the desktop facing from the cube surface. I'd kinda like to use that again just for the glitz and glamor.

My second question is that I'd like to file browse more like (don't kill me) Windows Explorer where I can easily move and copy directories back and forth in panes. I achieved a similar effect in Nautilus using the second pane option, but I would like to make the additional pane to appear by default in all folders. Is here any such way, or maybe a different file manager, I can use to do this without having to do some tweaks I'd be uncomfortable making?

Thanks alot--I'm really enjoying the freedom Linux offers as I've experienced it since mid-July, and plan on being Ubuntu user for years to come.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Two For One Thread--Compiz and File Browsing

Quote Originally Posted by MrJLBrown View Post
    My second question is that I'd like to file browse more like (don't kill me) Windows Explorer where I can easily move and copy directories back and forth in panes. I achieved a similar effect in Nautilus using the second pane option, but I would like to make the additional pane to appear by default in all folders. Is here any such way, or maybe a different file manager, I can use to do this without having to do some tweaks I'd be uncomfortable making?
    If you are wanting an address bar in Nautilus, then hit Ctrl+L or click Go in the tool bar, then click Location from the drop down menu.

P.S. It probably would have been more productive to start a separate thread on each subject. 8)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thank you for your contributions. "So long and thanks for the fish!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks--I'm still learning the ropes so I'll make separate threads for different problems. The address bar is a good start, but a persistent second pane could speed up my file management. I'm trying increase efficiency since I want to completely transition to Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by MrJLBrown View Post
    Thanks--I'm still learning the ropes so I'll make separate threads for different problems. The address bar is a good start, but a persistent second pane could speed up my file management. I'm trying increase efficiency since I want to completely transition to Ubuntu.
    Ahh, you want double pane, hit F3 while in nautilus or click View, then select Extra Pane from the drop down menu.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thank you for your contributions. "So long and thanks for the fish!"