Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: EXT4 - I just don't get it.

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: EXT4 - I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    I am sure ZFS it is not THAT utterly broken. Why all that aggression?
    Last I heard, running any of the usual fs benchmark/stress tests on it results in lots of errors, lost files, and fs corruption. That sounds pretty broken to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by psusi View Post
    Last I heard, running any of the usual fs benchmark/stress tests on it results in lots of errors, lost files, and fs corruption. That sounds pretty broken to me.
    I think it's better than that in both FreeBSD and OpenSolaris worlds. Can't comment on the FUSE implementation though.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by psusi View Post

You mean a slow fs implemented in userspace that is fundamentally broken ( it fails horribly under load testing )?
    1) a ZFS kernel module != user space filesystem..

I have a few pretty high IO VM's running on ZFS that would directly contradict your statements, but it must be my imagination, Your source is clearly infallible (see reference point one).
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    1) a ZFS kernel module != user space filesystem..

I have a few pretty high IO VM's running on ZFS that would directly contradict your statements, but it must be my imagination, Your source is clearly infallible (see reference point one).
    From what I can see on that site and on the wikipedia page on zfs, that is a native reimplementation of zfs in the kernel, but it is not yet actually usable as a filesystem because it has not yet implemented the zfs posix layer, which means that the fuse implementation is still the only usable one.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

i don't really get ext4 either. it's slow. corruption should be the last thing that happened though since i am under the impression that the speed issues are related to data integrity, better slow than sorry i suppose. i would investigate other possible issues that cause corruption like hardware failure.

my parts->

disc 1
    /boot - ext2
    / - ext3

disk 2
    /storage - ext3
    - ubuntu #23718 | gnu/linux #231826
    - x58/ich10r | i7-950 | 6@2GB 1600 3x channel | geforce gt640 2GB | 24" 16:9 / 19" 5:4 | 2@120GB ssd / 500GB / 1TB / dvd+-rw sata ahci | 600W | Mesh Case
    - fedora????

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by carolinason View Post
    i don't really get ext4 either. it's slow.
    I've done many installs of linux with ext4, and have yet to see any speed issues.

Beans

Ext4 can be slow with some databases. Though for most stuff it is improved over ext3, and I have never seen faster copies.

Beans
    Hidden!

I think a lot of the perceived problems with ext4 is due to people using it once, having some issues, and then not going back to it - but still complaining about those issues later. I've had no problems with ext4 on three different computers, even with the occasional random powercut. Of course, my anecdotal evidence is as good as anyone's - pretty worthless.
    Website | Blog | The Arch Hurd Project

If you want to ask about something I posted, send a PM, as I don't watch many threads

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 8.04 Hardy Heron

My computer would often shutdown for some reason and it still does, some issue with my power supply. Well i noticed a shift in reliability coming from ext3 to ext4. But i found a solution to protect data loss, that is i now have been using an NTFS partition managed on XP and sharing it with other operating systems. I advise this.
    Behold! The internet...
    My god, it's full of ads.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I had seeming corruption issues with ext4, back when it was first released. I had it on a fakeraid 2 disk array. that was always getting corrupted, but whether it was because of ext4 or fakeraid I'm not sure. The raid array has since been broken up and the disks formatted as xfs. I haven't had any problems since.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567