Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tomtom GPS USB Port

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Tomtom GPS USB Port

I have TomTomHome 2.8.0.2146 working perfectly in Virtualbox 3.2.12 (WinXP Sp3 - Haven't tried Win7 yet)

Also installed under Wine 1.2 with same results as others have reported - software seems to run normally - can log in - "no device attached"

pyTomTom seems to work OK as far as it goes but I don't see any option to download/install map updates

Have TomTom XXL 540 TM - Linux box is Ubuntu 10.04 64bit

I am brand new to GPS auto nav devices so I could be missing some feature that I don't even know about yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I've see someone suggesting Microsoft requested TomTom not to develop software for Linux users. This sounds a bit paranoid, true or not the evidence points in this direction. TomTom seems deaf to requests and has offered little or nothing in the way of assistance to Linux users, save for offering the Linux stuff that is on the satnav. WineHQ has this test report of an earlier version of TomTom Home. Here they did get their satnav device recognised by renaming the drive a: but no updates as the model wasn't covered.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=5367

The floppy switch was being used here also to get mass storage devices recognised under Wine

http://my.opera.com/theoperalink/blo...x.dml/tag/Wine
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=7502

No luck here using this work round with my TomTom satnav. I have noticed that if I Apply after selecting a different Type in Drives, my TomTom satnav senses this and a Please Wait message and temporarily red cross appears on the satnav screen. I won't buy another TomTom satnav.

Edit: This is probably a false trail but looking for any differences between my TomTom Home installs in Wine and XP, I noticed two extra files in XP under TomTomHome/xul/components, they are, compreg.dat and xpti.dat. A thought, what happens after a fresh install of TomTom Home on a ******* PC, is a connected satnav device recognised before TTH has a chance to connect to the internet? There's me now being paranoid.

TomTom's approach could be that they want to protect their intellectual property and prevent use of things such as piratebay sourced maps?

more here
    http://osdir.com/ml/wine-bugs/2010-06/msg04342.html
    Last edited by Handssolow; March 9th, 2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: spelling corrected

Beans
    Hidden!

I've got TomTom Home and an XXL 550 working in VirtualBox 3.2.12 (PUEL) with Winblows 7. Although it seems like TomTom Home is slow downloading things and installing them, it works. However, when I upgraded VirtualBox to 4.0.4 and installed the Expansion Pack to get USB 2.0 working, I got a grayed out device for the TomTom in Devices in VB, and TomTom Home would not recognize the device (of course). My other USB device, my HP printer, worked just fine. This seems like a problem with VB 4.0.4 and the TomTom, and not TomTom Home.

To make sure I was right, I uninstalled the 4.0.4 Guest Additions, removed VB 4.0.4, then reinstalled VB 3.2.12 and installed the 3.2.12 Guest Additions. My TomTom is now recognized again, and it's downloading updates as we speak.

I found this post on the VirtualBox site that recommends making yourself a member of the "disk" group (System -> Administration -> Users and Groups -> Manage Groups) as a workaround. I haven't tried it yet, but it certainly sounds like a fix for the problem I was having.

I really wish TomTom would just make the update files available as a download for those with an account on their site. My XXL is recognized by Ubuntu 10.10 and I can browse the contents of it in Nautilus. It seems like it would be no big deal for them to provide the files for us in a form that would allow easy updates. Then we wouldn't all have to waste so much time screwing around in virtual environments trying to get their devices to work!
    Last edited by linux4me; February 25th, 2011 at 02:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Reading the apparent lack of being able to use a TomTom with updates via Linux has stopped me from purchasing a TomTom. I will continue to look for a more Linux friendly GPS unit. TomTom's loss. We need several.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by RT236 View Post
    Reading the apparent lack of being able to use a TomTom with updates via Linux has stopped me from purchasing a TomTom. I will continue to look for a more Linux friendly GPS unit. TomTom's loss. We need several.
    I agree. It's appalling, especially because it seems like they're using Linux as the OS for the devices. If you find a good, Linux-friendly GPS unit, please post.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by linux4me View Post
    I agree. It's appalling, especially because it seems like they're using Linux as the OS for the devices. If you find a good, Linux-friendly GPS unit, please post.
    I've been Googling around and from what I've seen it looks like Garmin is possibly more friendly for maps updates, etc. Anyway, here is a site below I found interesting on Garmin stuff for Linux.

"Garmin Map Updates And Linux" http://x2q.net/garmin-map-updates/

Beans

Greetings,
    My XXL TomTom works perfectly in Vbox 4.04. All updates and also manage from computer works from the VM. I backup my TomTom with Lucky Backup in Ubuntu.
    tlcstat
    Last edited by howefield; August 20th, 2016 at 04:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tlcstat View Post
    Greetings,
    My XXL TomTom works perfectly in Vbox 4.04. All updates and also manage from computer works from the VM. I backup my TomTom with Lucky Backup in Ubuntu.
    tlcstat
    Thanks for the info! Very appreciated!!!

Beans

Greetings,
    If your gps doesn't show-up in the Vbox VM click on devices/USB and put a check in the box next to TomTom.
    Also make sure you check for TomTom Home updates for updates to Home itself before you update anything, especially the maps. If you install a new map and don't install the TomTom Gps Application Update you may get freezing. This is all completely manageable in Vbox, so don't panic. So it works like this.
    Update Home
    Update the GPS App if available (this is done from "Manage TomTom".
    Update Map.
    Plan trip under Navigate and take a test drive to make sure you don't have any freezing before you take a trip.
    If all of the links on the GPS work from Manage my TomTom then you shouldn't have any problems when using them from the touch screen. Back it all up in Ubuntu using Lucky Backup or your favorite backup program.
    FYI
    tlcstat
    Last edited by howefield; August 20th, 2016 at 04:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Tomtom GPS USB Port

Quote Originally Posted by tlcstat View Post
    Greetings,
    If your gps doesn't show-up in the Vbox VM click on devices/USB and put a check in the box next to TomTom.
    Also make sure you check for TomTom Home updates for updates to Home itself before you update anything, especially the maps. If you install a new map and don't install the TomTom Gps Application Update you may get freezing. This is all completely manageable in Vbox, so don't panic. So it works like this.
    Update Home
    Update the GPS App if available (this is done from "Manage TomTom".
    Update Map.
    Plan trip under Navigate and take a test drive to make sure you don't have any freezing before you take a trip.
    If all of the links on the GPS work from Manage my TomTom then you shouldn't have any problems when using them from the touch screen. Back it all up in Ubuntu using Lucky Backup or your favorite backup program.
    FYI
    tlcstat
    Thanks for your reply on this. I wanted to let you know how this went, but the difference was I got it to work with a Garmin with absolutely no problems either. I had just placed an order for a Garmin when I saw your reply, so decided to try it with the Garmin, and it worked!!!

Garmin Nuvi 255
    VirtualBox 4.0.4
    Ubuntu 10.04
    Windows XP SP3

I had the problem with USB grayed out in VirtualBox and I could not select it. I had set the filter for the Garmin and lsusb also showed it. After much hair pulling I found a tutorial on How to Fix VirtualBox USB Support. I was not a member of the vboxusers group and hence could not access USB in my case from the VirtualBox. I'm listing this in case someone else has a similar problem http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...t-111715.shtml After doing this one needs to log out and back in to update the changes.

Thanks for your help and having pointed me in the right direction. I just did a 1 hr. update of the maps and it went flawlessly.

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by RT236; March 23rd, 2011 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Update

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12