Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomtom GPS USB Port

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Tomtom GPS USB Port

The software for a tomtom GPS installs perfectly under wine. However that same software does not see the tomtom gps which is connected via the USB port. The software says "NO Device connected"
    In Ubuntu the gps is available when connected via the USB port.
    Anybody some Ideas how I can make the GPS visible for the tomtom software in WINE??

(PS: The software used on the tomtom is LINUX so why no linux supporting software?? Anyway this is a problem for later)
    "Some people say if you play a windows cd backwards it plays satanic messages. That's nothing, because if you play it forwards it installs windows!" (Author unknown)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Tomtom GPS USB Port

Not sure, but is it similar to when using a usb device in a virtual machine? ie you have to unmount it from the linux system for it to be seen by the virtual machine and possibly wine in this case?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Even the virtual machine does not see the device connected to the USB port. In other words NO success in Wine and NO success in virtual machine.
    "Some people say if you play a windows cd backwards it plays satanic messages. That's nothing, because if you play it forwards it installs windows!" (Author unknown)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

There are two issues here as I see it.

1.TomTom doesn't currently support Linux users.
    2.Wine's implementation of USB connected devices is still in its infancy. Although TomTom Home will run under Wine, a TomTom device connected by USB isn't recognised, as wont many other devices connected by USB with Wine.

In the longer term, say 5 years, I see the demise of the dedicated stand alone car satnav. Soon most phones will have the features you find on TomTom. Heck, my digital camera even has a GPS chip which will identify where I've taken my photos.

Perhaps TomTom might eventually release a Linux version of their TomTom Home to extend its life before they are overtaken by the phone market.
    Last edited by Handssolow; December 1st, 2010 at 04:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

At last, a light at the end of the tunnel...
    You should try http://pytomtom.tuxfamily.org
    Still in version 0.5, but at least, it can recognize a TomTom device connected to the usb port, and do some actions as GpsQuickFix, Backup and restore, and handle POI.
    Download the pyTomTom.tar.gz file (the .deb didn't install in my machine), and extract it's folder. Connect the TT device; go to the folder extracted and execute pytomtom.sh

This is a long lasting, but promissing begin. Cheers, and Merry Christmas!

Jorge

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

just a correction, yes, the .deb installed using dpkg
    $ sudo dpkg -i pyTomTom.deb

It shows in the Accessories
    Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Handssolow View Post
    There are two issues here as I see it.

1.TomTom doesn't currently support Linux users.
    2.Wine's implementation of USB connected devices is still in its infancy. Although TomTom Home will run under Wine, a TomTom device connected by USB isn't recognised, as wont many other devices connected by USB with Wine.

In the longer term, say 5 years, I see the demise of the dedicated stand alone car satnav. Soon most phones will have the features you find on TomTom. Heck, my digital camera even has a GPS chip which will identify where I've taken my photos.

Perhaps TomTom might eventually release a Linux version of their TomTom Home to extend its life before they are overtaken by the phone market.
    its impossible to make programs under wine recognize mass storage. if i could get that working, i could say goodbye to dual booting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPta View Post
    Even the virtual machine does not see the device connected to the USB port. In other words NO success in Wine and NO success in virtual machine.
    Have the exact same problem but Wine doesn't play nice with usb.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
    Need help? It may be Just Plain Obvious
    Problem fixed? Mark Your Thread as Solved

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jsampaio57 View Post
    At last, a light at the end of the tunnel...
    You should try http://pytomtom.tuxfamily.org
    Still in version 0.5, but at least, it can recognize a TomTom device connected to the usb port, and do some actions as GpsQuickFix, Backup and restore, and handle POI.
    Download the pyTomTom.tar.gz file (the .deb didn't install in my machine), and extract it's folder. Connect the TT device; go to the folder extracted and execute pytomtom.sh

This is a long lasting, but promissing begin. Cheers, and Merry Christmas!

Jorge
    Quote Originally Posted by jsampaio57 View Post
    just a correction, yes, the .deb installed using dpkg
    $ sudo dpkg -i pyTomTom.deb

It shows in the Accessories
    Cheers
    Thanks for posting Jorge, that's great news for Tom Tom owners.

I'll have to check it out with my wife's Tom Tom. (She uses OS X, so we have no desperate need for Linux support at this stage, though I always prefer my Arch desktop to OS X.)
    Last edited by handy; December 26th, 2010 at 07:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

So near yet so far far away.

I was hoping that pyTomTom might be a fix which would have TomTom Home recognising that my 910 was connected to my PC's USB socket but no. It's a separate program that may or may not be working with my connected 910. I didn't seem to be able to look at what POIs I had already installed on my satnav.

The good news is that I ran TomTom Home under Wine and it installs the latest version, 2.7.6.2056. I can also login to my TomTom account. Ubuntu recognises my 910 is connected and even in TomTom Home>Tools>preferences I can browse what's on the 910.

But as far as the main part of TomTom Home is concerned, I've not got a device connected.

Anyone getting pyTomTom to work in meaningful way?
    Last edited by Handssolow; December 28th, 2010 at 11:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast