Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to network share on Lubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Smile Re: How to network share on Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by woodyg View Post
    I have installed these packages on 11.10, but...Samba does not start/work...
    As you will see from this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ighlight=samba

...you need to install: python-glade2.

I've now edited post#1 to relfect this change.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: How to network share on Lubuntu

Okay, Oneiric Ubuntu on AMD64. I have followed along installing:
    * samba
    * system-config-samba
    * gvfs-bin
    * gvfs-backends

trying to get samba to run so I can assign workgroup and shares. I have installed the above, the glade-2, etc. All I get is the password screen and then the flash of Samba-config trying to display but never runs.

If I terminal-launch
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
    I get these errors
    Code:
    (gedit:2363): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

(gedit:2363): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.RAQR6V': No such file or directory

(gedit:2363): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

(gedit:2363): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.072G6V': No such file or directory

any ideas? I do see that samba has changed. Some of the older diagnostic threads have commands that this samba does not recognize, eg, sudo service smbd restart
    "You don't do art because you want to, no, you do art because you have to." -- M. Buonarroti

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Unterseeboot_234 View Post
    ...trying to get samba to run so I can assign workgroup and shares. ... All I get is the password screen and then the flash of Samba-config trying to display but never runs...
    Try opening a terminal and typing:-
    Code:
    gksu system-config-samba
    ...this may show you why the Samba config screen is not running correctly.

I thought that in Ubuntu you could right-click a file in Nautilus and share a file...does that approach work?

Are you running 64bit Ubuntu on AMD64?

Beans
    Distro

The ONLY response I get with samba is terminal-based launch. Samba installation puts a menu item in Ubuntu, but that always fails.

So, yes, Oneiric AMD64-Ubuntu, install from apt-get install, using the extra stuff mentioned in this thread. On two AMD64 boxes, I might add. It would seem I can't access samba_user_data in the samba.config (that's a guess).

Code:
    ~$ gksu system-config-samba
      File "/usr/sbin/system-config-samba", line 45, in <module>
        mainWindow.MainWindow(debug_flag)
      File "/usr/share/system-config-samba/mainWindow.py", line 116, in __init__
        self.samba_user_data = sambaUserData.SambaUserData(self)
      File "/usr/share/system-config-samba/sambaUserData.py", line 46, in __init__
        self.readSmbPasswords()
      File "/usr/share/system-config-samba/sambaUserData.py", line 63, in readSmbPasswords
        raise RuntimeError, (_("You do not have permission to execute %s." % pdbeditcmd))
    RuntimeError: You do not have permission to execute /usr/bin/pdbedit.
    I get that error once, and all other attempts of terminal lauch gives me the silent fail.

ANY advice. I never see a workgroup or a network to begin configuring, but I am using a wireless LAN that works for internet access.
    "You don't do art because you want to, no, you do art because you have to." -- M. Buonarroti

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Unterseeboot_234 View Post
    ...ANY advice....
    I think your problem is beyond the scope of this Lubuntu thread, and as you are running Ubuntu I suggest you start a new thread.

Beans
    Distro

Many thanks. I will start another thread. Incidentally, other threads advise the same workaround of installing all the python and glade tools to try and get Samba to run. Thanks for your input...

Beans

Thanks for the tutorial, SteveDee. I had one problem that you didn't address: my hostname was too long, which prevented me from accessing my Windows shares through WORKGROUP or my Lubuntu shares through my Windows machines. This seems like it must be a common problem, so here is the solution from another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    Preliminary steps:
    [1] Run the following command in lubuntu and count the number of characters:
    Code:
    hostname
    If it's 16 characters or more in length then your machine is invisible to the rest of the network.

[2] Change the order of how host names are resolved to ip addresses:

To do both:
    Edit smb.conf as root ( I'm using gedit here because I don't know the default editor in Lubuntu ) [ed. note: I've changed gedit to leafpad]:
    Code:
    gksu leafpad /etc/samba/smb.conf
    Then add the following line to the [global] section of smb.conf - right under the workgroup line to fix the hostname problem if there is one:
    Code:
    netbios name = something
    something must be 15 characters or less in length

Still in leafpad add another line under that one:
    Code:
    name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins
    Save smb.conf and then restart samba services:
    Code:
    sudo service smbd restart
    sudo service nmbd restart
    Note: Every time you restart samba services the network has a fit so wait a few minutes and see how far this advice got you.
    Last edited by giantslor; March 4th, 2012 at 06:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by giantslor View Post
    ...one problem that you didn't address: my hostname was too long...
    Yeah, there are lots of variables with networking, so plenty of scope for things to go wrong.

Thanks for the input.

Beans

I am getting exactly the same response as UnderSeeBoot in post #14 from Lubuntu 11.10. However, as I am running it on a tiny un-upgradeable drive (4Gb on EEE PC) I have no room to install all the python and glade tools. Has anyone found a proper fix rather than the given workaround?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have followed the directions here and have Samba up and running. I can now see the files on my Ubuntu 10.04 server but i can not access them to copy them or play them as the are mainly video files. the laptop im trying to do this from is running Lubuntu 12.04. my server has Samba properly setup and configured as i can access and play the files on the server from other devices( computers and media players) with no problems. i have the folders/files set for everyone to have full rights(read/write/delete). I even have another Ubuntu based laptop that can fully access and play said files with no problems.

Any suggestions would be help full as im testing this as an OS upgrade for ALL my Ubuntu based system because they are all running a no longer supported version and i would prefer to not upgrade to the version of Ubuntu that have the 'Unity' environments.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast