Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unable to get Arduino Uno working - no /dev/ttyACM0 in IDE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Exclamation Unable to get Arduino Uno working - no /dev/ttyACM0 in IDE

I have just bought myself a new Arduino Uno development board. When I plug it into my computer (with the appropriate USB cable, of course) the TX light flashes a few times, and a device is listed at /dev/ttyACM0. I can confirm that Ubuntu recognises the device with:
    Code:
    dmesg
    [16735.456541] usb 7-2: USB disconnect, address 7
    [16736.688025] usb 7-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 8
    [16736.886418] usb 7-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    [16736.889377] cdc_acm 7-2:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
    I have a 64bit Ubuntu Maverick installation on a laptop and a 32bit Lucid installation on a desktop, both with Arduino-0021, librxtx, and Sun Java installed as I think it should be. However, the serial port /dev/ttyACM0 does not show up in the Arduino IDE on either machine (on the laptop the Tools -> Serial Port menu is greyed out, because there are no other serial ports; and on the desktop only /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS1 are listed, neither of which work in communicating with the Uno).

I have tried manually linking the librxtx library on the 64bit Maverick install, because I read the 32/64bit differences mean the included libraries don't work (or something like that), but to no avail. Then I tried the 32bit Lucid machine because I read that it should be working fine. Apparently not...

Do I still need to do something with Java and the librxtx thing? Since /dev/ttyACM0 shows up in the various Linux places, it would seem to be a problem with Java (typical) not being able to "see" it for some reason. What should I do?

Re: Unable to get Arduino Uno working - no /dev/ttyACM0 in IDE

I have the same problem.
    My arduino board seems to have had a problem with the USB board, and, although it seems to be working now, the bootloader appears to have disappeared. I want to confirm if that's the problem by reuploading it, through an AVR programmer I have, but it uses a ttyACM port, which the Arduino IDE doesn't detect (it only detects ttyUSB ports!).

Beans
    Distro

I managed to get it working in 32bit Lucid by installing the Arduino and librxtx packages from the Natty repository. Then /dev/ttyACM0 showed up in the Arduino IDE, without any additional tinkering. I'm now about to try the same thing in 64bit Maverick...

Beans
    Distro

Solved

OK, I've got it all working! Yay!

I installed "librxtx-java", "arduino-core", and "arduino" from the Natty packages repo.

I did not need to install Sun Java, it works fine with OpenJDK.

I love the way the Ubuntu devs make everything so easy.
    But it would have been nice if Arduino 0021 could have been put into the Maverick repository to upgrade from 0018, then I would never have even needed to worry about this. Or maybe the Arduino team could make an Ubuntu PPA, that would be really awesome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks seanlano.
    I have a similar problem and hopefully this may provide the answer.

I'm still running Lucid Lynx - What's the easiest way of installing the natty packages. The reason I ask is that I recently installed some mysql packages from a forward distribution. This worked OK until a subsequent update broke the apt mechanism.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm still running Lucid Lynx - What's the easiest way of installing the natty packages.
    I'm in the same boat. Looks like the Uno I just received only works with version 020 or better of the IDE - in the PPA package, I can only get 018.

Plus I have the same problem as the OP - I can see the USB connection at ACM0, but can't get the IDE to "see" it as a board.

Seanlano, how did you do it? I always thought that installing packages not designed for your particular release was A Bad Thing.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Regards,

Richard T Perry

Beans
    Distro

To help you out, look at the list of Natty packages (http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/allpackages) and find the ones you need. For me, I used the packages linked in my previous post, but this should work for any package.

Once the list has loaded (it's very long, it could take a while) you can use Ctrl + F in Firefox to "Find" by name. Search for the package you want, and click on its link. Listed here too is the version of the package. Once you click on the link you will see a list of the package's dependencies, if you scroll down past this you will see "download". For some packages it will list the architecture (usually i386 or amd64), if not it says "all". Download the file by clicking on the architecture type you have, or "all" if the file is architecture independent. This will bring up a list of mirrors, choose whichever you want.
    Save the file somewhere, then once it's done go to this file. Right-click and select "Open with Ubuntu Software Centre" or "Open with GDebi Package Installer". Click "Install" and enter your password when prompted. Ubuntu will automatically install required packages, unless they cannot be found. To install "arduino" you need to install "arduino-core" first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Great - I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the help. It's fascinating - everytime I think I'm finally learning something about Ubuntu, I get reminded that "I am but an egg."
    Regards,

Richard T Perry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

...and I have a cheerfully blinking pin 13 LED now.

One note - I had the 018 version already installed (I was following the PPA instructions on the Arduino playground wiki) and when I tried to install the arduino-core package, it failed. Using synaptic to remove the -018 package fixed that. Works fine now.

Thanks.
    Last edited by perryrt; December 10th, 2010 at 04:42 AM.
    Regards,

Richard T Perry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Re: Unable to get Arduino Uno working - no /dev/ttyACM0 in IDE

Quote Originally Posted by perryrt View Post
    ...and I have a cheerfully blinking pin 13 LED now.

One note - I had the 018 version already installed (I was following the PPA instructions on the Arduino playground wiki) and when I tried to install the arduino-core package, it failed. Using synaptic to remove the -018 package fixed that. Works fine now.

Thanks.
    Hi perryrt,
    It looks like I'm in the same situation as you are. I see the same messages in the dmesg log, the only difference is that I'm using Ubuntu Karmic. Could you be more specific in what you did? You uninstalled the arduino IDE 0018 which came from the PPA and installed the arduino 0021 manually? Is that correct. Did you change anything on the other supporting packages? And what you see in dmesg now when you plug in the USB cable?

Cheers,
    Boyan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast