Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recording MIDI and audio in LMMS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

recording MIDI and audio in LMMS

Hello, I just installed LMMS. I checked their wiki, some other sites I googled, and some youtube videos. I cannot find how to record MIDI in LMMS. Anyone know how? I am running Ubuntu 10.10. I just got it installed within this past week or two. I really like it. I used to use FL Studio. I was really excited about LMMS. I just want to be able to record. Also, if this answer is know too. How we can record audio? In FL Studio in Windoze, I used to be able to use 'Edison' to record audio from my keyboard. Thanks in advance, toolmania1

Beans
    Distro

Re: recording MIDI and audio in LMMS

So, after 43 views this morning, I am guessing that this cannot be done?

I thought I saw someone else post that they were able to record. I tried to message them, but I don't have 75 points yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I would check out Tools > Settings > MIDI Interface and check out what you can do with those settings. I don't have a MIDI keyboard so I can't really see the potential options.

Beans

I have tried lmms many times over the years, and it always has crashed in flames within minutes. It's an ambitious project, but to easily record both audio and midi in linux, I find Reaper in a wineasio setup to be the most stable, and easiest to learn. Some are using the FLS in the same manner, there is a long thread here telling the tale. If your hardware
    is 'wineasio friendly' it may be worth a weekend in the config cage to get it working.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1260057

Cheers
    Last edited by sgx; November 17th, 2010 at 03:36 PM. Reason: spelld

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

qtractor is another option.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I actually have read the above listed thread before. I also have read things about WINE. I really enjoy having such a safe system in ubuntu. I left windows for this reason as well. I read with WINE, you can open yourself back up to the windows viruses and such. I don't want to deal with that stuff anymore. Do you guys have an opinion on this matter? ( Pablo, sgx, or anyone else )
    Last edited by toolmania1; November 18th, 2010 at 03:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Well using WINE... you have an isolated little contained box of good ol' Window$. Pretty much the only way you could get a virus would be opening internet explorer and going to malicious sites, etc. If that were to actually happen, you could just delete your .wine folder and start fresh (you'd have to reinstall REAPER, etc.). Audio has come a long way on linux over the past few years (developing at an incredible speed), but it's still not quite ALL the way there yet, and some proprietary options are superior still. And of course, if you want to really stick it to the proprietary people you could just torrent the app (i'm totally kidding of course).

Beans
    Distro

Hmmm.

Well, I will have to know a lot about WINE before I do that. I have heard it mentioned in several posts. I have not studied it yet. In the meantime, I am going to stick with what I can get through Ubuntu and learn about them. Maybe they do enough. I only want to goof around anyways. It's not like I am Dr. Dre. Or am I? muwaaa hahahaha ( Dr. Evil laugh )

j/k

Beans
    Distro

I have also read that by combining many of the audio resources in Ubuntu, you can get done what you need. So, I was wondering, can any of these record what LMMS puts out:

Rosegarden, Audacity, Muse.

Oh, and are there any other packages that could record what I would play in LMMS?

Thanks
    Switching from Windows to Ubuntu one small step at a time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am sure you have probably figured this out by now, but since this thread only points you towards WINE I will reply. You can indeed record midi in Lmms. I would need to know more about your setup to figure out why it isn't working for you.

You can also, by using Jack, record the output from LMMS (route it to Audacity or Ardour to record an audio track, route it to JAMIN to master it, etc.) or you can simply go to Project--> Export to "bounce" a track into a .wav or .ogg (you will need another program to compress it to mp3).

As far as recording audio directly into LMMS without using another program and then importing the file into the audio file processor, well.. that's what I am trying to figure out. That is how I found this post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast