Thread: Good copy of 10.10 won't install to HDD, badblocks found NO bad sectors. What to do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Good copy of 10.10 won't install to HDD, badblocks found NO bad sectors. What to do?

Hey all. I have a puzzler (to me, at least). I tried to install Ubuntu 10.10 from a known-to-be-good disc, to a certain hard drive, which I will call "Frank". Frank is an 80GB SATA HDD. So, I tried to install to Frank on two different computers, where Frank was the ONLY connected HDD. Same exact error both times: at the end of the install, after all other files are copied, it says "could not install boot loader".

So I tried to install to a different physical portion of Frank. No dice. Note: no matter to which section I try to install the boot loader, it won't do it. Same error.

So I ran badblocks, doing a FULL DESTRUCTIVE TEST of Frank (newbs like me, note that this will destroy all data on the drive). So, what happened? Nothing: It ran the test, and found NO BAD BLOCKS.

Here is the output:
    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ sudo badblocks -wvsX /dev/sda -o results.txt
    Checking for bad blocks in read-write mode
    From block 0 to 78150743
    Testing with pattern 0xaa: done                                
    Reading and comparing: done                                
    Testing with pattern 0x55: done                                
    Testing with pattern 0xff: done                                
    Testing with pattern 0x00: done                                
    Pass completed, 0 bad blocks found.
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Desktop$
    Does badblocks test the MBR section of the HDD? Is there really nothing wrong with Frank? Did I do something wrong?

What gives?? Why would Ubuntu fail to install to this drive, with two different motherboards? The Ubuntu 10.10 install disc verified itself was correct, and I successfully installed to another computer with it. What do I do now?
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Good copy of 10.10 won't install to HDD, badblocks found NO bad sectors. What to

has "Frank" been part of a raid array in the past? EVEN IF HE HAS BEEN FORMATTED. Because I had a couple of disks the other day before I loaded 10.10 and they were part of a raid array. I ended up having to use some disk manager i got off a fedora 14 cd to tidy up the old raid array. Disk druid didn't work, and I don't like using parted, it scares me.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Good copy of 10.10 won't install to HDD, badblocks found NO bad sectors. What to

Hmmmmmm. *ponders a moment*...

I am about 95% sure that this disk-- Err, I mean Frank, was never part of any RAID array. However, it is REALLY good to be aware of such a thing. Wow, so, are RAID config setting stored elsewhere the disk (like a Flash RAM chip)?

Sigh. I'll definitely check that out. Any other recommendations? I guess I could try a different SATA cable. -_-

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

to remove (if it exist):

sudo dmraid -rE

then prepare installation:

boot on partedmagic ( http://partedmagic.com/ ) to create 3 partitions:

- / : which is "root", make it bootable, ext4, ~ 12 Gb (take note of its name, something like /dev/sd?, the installer in manual mode will ask about it )

- swap : ~ 2 Gb

- /home : ext3 or ext4, unlimited space to store your data and settings

then use the "alternate" iso to install it on / , and install grub2 on /dev/sd? ( ? is a letter )

then you can choose to boot on hdd into the bios.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you, I will try what I can! I wonder why it would fail... I will post my findings!

I also found this thread post that looked helpful.

Also, please note the following: the operating system actually installs, as far as I know. I think it is only the boot loader that fails to install. I was able to manually install GRUB to ROOT, but I couldn't get vmlinuz kernel to boot!! (I have since formatted the drive).