Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IBM R51 Cannot connect to Network

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: IBM R51 Cannot connect to Network

Do you still have Wicd installed, I hope? Can you look around in its preferences and settings and see if it's using the wpa_supplicant driver ipw or wext? I think it should use wext, but I'd try either.

Did you remove NM entirely when you installed Wicd? See if it's running (and fighting):
    Code:
    ps aux | grep -i network
    Does the password work seamlessly on other computers on the network? Is upper or lower-case an issue?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Re: SOLVED: IBM R51 Cannot connect to Network

Well not sure what happened but it's now solved. I had trouble with my router and ended up resetting it back to it's default connection. Once I'd set it up again (with security, IP addresses, etc) I could access the Internet via the wireless card.

Sorry I couldn't find a definitive answer but at least it's working. My only worry now is that I have to rebuild my Laptop again and install Maverick from scratch (my previous installation was a dual boot but now I want to remove Windows 7). Fingers crossed the wireless driver will work when it's rebuilt.

Thanks for the help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: IBM R51 Cannot connect to Network

In any case, I am glad it's working. When you reinstall, if you get stuck, please post here and we'll be glad to help. Feel free to PM me if I don't catch it quickly.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12