Thread: Conky: getting execigraph to work with aticonfig

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Conky: getting execigraph to work with aticonfig

Trying to get execigraph to work with aticonfig in conky.

The following line works after a fashion, displaying the number & % symbol:

Code:
    ${execi 10 aticonfig --adapter=0 --odgc | grep "GPU load" | cut -c32-34}
    but the following displays either a static vertical line on the right edge of my conky or nothing at all:

Code:
    ${execigraph 10 aticonfig --adapter=0 ---odgc | grep "GPU load" | cut -c32-33}
    I've tried tinkering with default_graph_size, with ""s around the aticonfig etc part, with the -c values in cut, have googled to the point of despair & tried various lines using tail or gawk (I don't have a clue about these, even after trying to read up, so tinkering with the values has been fruitless guesswork) that I found in forums. Nothing works. I think the main problem is that sometimes the result of aticonfig etc is a number between 0 & 99 which execigraph requires but if the gpu load is <10 then the result is a number and the % symbol. But this might be completely wrong because even when the load is >10, there's no graph.

Does anybody have any ideas? I was wondering if there was a way of using grep/cut/tail/gawk to ensure that the result was always a number? Thanks in advance for all suggestions!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Conky: getting execigraph to work with aticonfig

Ok, doing a bit more searching I discovered that I can use tr -d % to get rid of the percentage symbol. I also spotted the ---odgc typo in the code above. aticonfig --adapter=0 --odgc | grep "GPU load" | cut -c32-34 | tr -d % in the terminal shows the current gpu load as a number but does nothing with execigraph in conky.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm guessing nobody has replied because nobody knows but I'll bump it this once anyway...

Beans

Can you get execibar to work?
    I've tried execigraph with my nvidia card but I can't get it to work.
    Execibar works though.

Try this thread where all the conky gurus hang out.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=281865&page=1477
    Last edited by stinkeye; November 16th, 2010 at 03:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I thought I had tried execibar and it had worked but I just tried it again now & it doesn't. Hey ho!

Beans

If I use execbar (not execibar) and use update_interval 1.0 in my
    conky config and then run glxgears it shows around 60%.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks - still no joy though - made the changes you suggested and swirled a wobbly window around my desktop for a minute - the figure from the execi line went up but the bar is just a tiny vertical line on the rightmost edge that doesn't change. I also tried it with execgraph just to see and that's slightly different - just a blankspace when the load is 0 but as it goes up, a vertical line appears, about 30 pixels long, pushing the conky below it down, and then disappears even while the load is still high. I've made a support request on sourceforge so fingers crossed that works.

I like those cpu/gpu icons in your conky - where'd you get them?

Beans

There are settings to determine the graph sizes you put in you config.
    From man conky ...
    Code:
    default_bar_size 
    Specify a default width and height for bars. Example: 'default_bar_size 0 6'. This is particularly useful for execbar and execibar as they do not take size arguments.

default_graph_size 
    Specify a default width and height for graphs. Example: 'default_graph_size 0 25'. This is particularly useful for execgraph and execigraph as they do not take size arguments
    Don't know if that may make a difference.

eg for my execbar I use
    Code:
    ${execbar nvidia-smi -a | grep -A 2 "Utilization" | tr -d % | grep "GPU" | awk '{print $3}'}

with a line in the config above "TEXT"
    Code:
    default_bar_size 80 10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks, I've got that set though, took me a while to figure it out because it's x y whereas the ***bar etc after TEXT are y,x. I should probably have posted my conky so you could see but the relevant bit is in a script (Someone on the conky irc thingy told me to try that when I looked for help there) so it was easier just to paste the lines in. Ta for trying!