Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnome Shell

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Gnome Shell

I'm trying out gnome shell on my test machine to see if I will be running it on my main machine in the future. Right now I really like the way it is set up but I have some questions that I can't seem to find answers to on any of the online literature (most of the gnome shell stuff seems to be outdated and mostly useless to me).

The first question is: Is there a way for me to bind keyboard/mouse buttons to various gnome features? For example, right now if you go to the top left of gnome shell it will take you to a kind of overview of your workspaces and applications, is there a way to do that via a mouse gesture or keyboard sequence?

Second question: One of the new features in gnome shell is the ability to use the 'sidebar', which allows you to quickly access applications and such. Is there a way to get a different theme for this or are you stuck with the gray one that it comes with?

Right now those are the only two questions that I have (I just started using it a short time ago) but the first one in particular is very important to me and if anyone knows the answer, please share.

Thanks

EDIT: There has to be a script that is being run upon the mouseover of the top left. I just need to know that script so that I can bind it in compiz and do it that way. Or if there is an easier way, meh, I guess that'll work as well
    Last edited by Jeff.Smith; November 15th, 2010 at 09:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Gnome Shell

Not a lot of customization, but it should set up a keyboard shortcut for opening the sidebar. Try the left windows / "PC" key. I dont have it installed currently, but I know it set one up by default.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by weasel fierce View Post
    Not a lot of customization, but it should set up a keyboard shortcut for opening the sidebar. Try the left windows / "PC" key. I dont have it installed currently, but I know it set one up by default.
    the left windows key does open up the overview of all of your workspaces and applications, but I would rather it be done by a mouse gesture. I was trying to find the script/command that is run when the 'windows'/super key is pressed but I cant find a reference to it anywhere. If I have this command I can bind it to whatever in compiz, so that is really all I need.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Bump. Anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

I just installed it today so for themes you can go here.

http://www.techdrivein.com/2010/09/top-6-gnome-shell-themes-ever.html

I'm using Dark Glass as its pretty amazing.

As for your other question try checking the system preferences menu in the top right, it has tons of options to configure. FYI leave compiz off, it froze my box.
    Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz
    4GB ram 32GB SSD
    nVidia GeForce 8600GT 256MB
    Ubuntu 8.10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Not 100% sure but I thought that 10.10 did gesture-based window management. Take a look at the following, it might help

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Multitouch

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Exclamation Re: Gnome Shell

Quote Originally Posted by blackvd View Post
    I just installed it today so for themes you can go here.

http://www.techdrivein.com/2010/09/top-6-gnome-shell-themes-ever.html

I'm using Dark Glass as its pretty amazing.

As for your other question try checking the system preferences menu in the top right, it has tons of options to configure. FYI leave compiz off, it froze my box.
    Thanks for the themes, some of those look really good.

Unfortunately, I went through all of the preferences, and there is nothing in there about mouse gestures. Thanks for the heads up about Compiz though. Makes the problem a little more difficult but hey, I'm sure someone here at the forum is up to it.

Not 100% sure but I thought that 10.10 did gesture-based window management. Take a look at the following, it might help

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Multitouch
    Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that wiki is referring to multitouch functionality for touchscreens as apposed to trackpads. Also, I am running gnome shell over 10.04 LTS.

So, my question still remains. Is there anyway to customize gnome shell in such a way that allows you to get to the overview screen via a mouse gesture? I would really appreciate any help that anyone can provide. I've been attempting to use it on my main machine and it really slows me down not being able to use a mouse gesture to execute this command. Please help.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The overview screen is not a function of Gnome, but of the Compiz WM. <IF> you can get compiz to work with gnome shell, you should be able to re-enable the feature through the "CompizConfig Settings Manager". It is enabled by default because your 'old' gnome desktop had the Extra visual effects enabled in Appearance Preferences > Visual Effects.

Let us know if Compiz works with it, I'm assuming that the Shell will want to use it's own visual effects and so it won't. Good luck!
    Team Ignition Kernel Developer | Firestorm ROM Thunderbolt Manager
    linux-ideapad developer/maintainer for Arch Linux/Ubuntu Linux
    NT-Sparkkernel Developer for the Nook Tablet

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by admiralspark View Post
    The overview screen is not a function of Gnome, but of the Compiz WM. <IF> you can get compiz to work with gnome shell, you should be able to re-enable the feature through the "CompizConfig Settings Manager". It is enabled by default because your 'old' gnome desktop had the Extra visual effects enabled in Appearance Preferences > Visual Effects.

Let us know if Compiz works with it, I'm assuming that the Shell will want to use it's own visual effects and so it won't. Good luck!
    [strike]As far as I can tell Compiz isn't installed on my machine.[/strike] Also, before I installed shell it was a clean install of ubuntu, I hadn't installed any extra programs yet.

I'll try to download Compiz and see if I can get it working that way. I should mention that, while gnome shell is running it will not let me change the visual effects in Preferences. It says "mutter is running" so I won't be able to change them.
    Last edited by Jeff.Smith; November 22nd, 2010 at 08:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff.Smith View Post
    [strike]As far as I can tell Compiz isn't installed on my machine.[/strike] Also, before I installed shell it was a clean install of ubuntu, I hadn't installed any extra programs yet.

I'll try to download Compiz and see if I can get it working that way. I should mention that, while gnome shell is running it will not let me change the visual effects in Preferences. It says "mutter is running" so I won't be able to change them.
    The overview screen is not a function of Compiz.
    Gnome-shell does not use Compiz at all.
    Gnome-shell uses clutter and mutter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast