Thread: Ubuntu faster than Windows?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Question Ubuntu faster than Windows?

I'm fairly new to Ubuntu and I've only installed it on three computers. However, I can't help but think that it runs much faster than Windows. Is this true?

I can't be sure because one of the machines is a brand new Sony Laptop with a quad core i5. The other two are much older HP's. I did a clean install on both of those, completely erasing everything on the hard drive.

You see where I'm going with this... the one is brand new and the others were wiped clean. This could totally answer for the seemingly increased speed.

My question is: Is Ubuntu really faster? Can anyone back this up? Thanks!

Beans

Re: Ubuntu faster than Windows?

This has generally been my experience. Although I have no real data to back it up.

Beans

This is pretty commonly observed by people comparing the two, but I think it depends on a few things; for example, which version of Windows? What hardware (poor graphics drivers for some hardware gives a perception of slowness)? How is Ubuntu configured? What features are enabled/disabled on each OS?

But comparing the default installs of the latest Windows vs the latest ubuntu, I don't think too many people around here would disagree with the statement that ubuntu is faster.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I also agree that Ubuntu is faster and more stable than Windows.

Just one example:

At work we have to use Windows. We use OpenOffice; it takes at least 2-3 times longer for it to open than it does on my home laptop (which only has Ubuntu) despite the fact that the computer at work has a faster processor, better graphics card, and more RAM.

At home, OpenOffice opens almost instantaneously; I love it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Windows is slow on laptops, whereas Ubuntu is reasonably fast on all computers.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Ok, this has been my experience exactly. Ubuntu just flies. Especially on my new Sony Vaio. I ran Windows 7 for the first week and was like "Ehhh." Programs still took awhile to open, etc.

With Ubuntu, stuff just works and works quickly. Since several people have echoed this sentiment, I'm going to mark this one solved.

However, by all means, feel free to keep posting feedback.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

ubuntu does feel faster than windows XP/vista (haven't really tried 7 so i can't comment on it) it might just be a couple hundred milliseconds difference but, for me, it is noticeable.

there are no "ok it's open, no.. wait, give it a sec... ok, NOW it's open" moments in ubuntu for me as there were with windows. and even if it's dragging an open window or resizing it, it feels faster there too.

note: btw, i think this would be better off in the community cafe. should someone report it or just wait for a mod to move it?

Beans
    Hidden!

it seems faster without the green ribbon of death

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

to my experience is faster (probably also because it needs less ram to run the processes. however on the other hand i find it is much less compatible with certain older hardware and especially software (in windows software always comes with necessary libraries and you can easilly run windows 95 software today.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup