Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keyring requests password three times on login since upgrading to Maverick

Beans

Question Keyring requests password three times on login since upgrading to Maverick

Hello,

Simply as the title says, when I boot up my password is requested three separate times by the keyring. Sometimes if I have left my computer to boot up it will actually be requested four times.

I get the impression it relates to start up programs, for example if I leave it so that it requests the password a fourth time, at the same time the wifi connection settings pop up requesting the wifi password.

I remember having a similar problem before and I think I was able to set a program as always having access to the keyring once logged in, but I can't remember or find how to do this.

The programs that are maximized on startup are; transmission, liferea. Docky and gnome-do are also arranged to load on startup.

Beans

Re: Keyring requests password three times on login since upgrading to Maverick

System > Perferences > Passwords and Encryption Keys

How many keys are listed? Deleting any ones other than the "login" one should solve this issue by re-associating the keyring with your login.

This issue also can occur anytime you change your password.

Beans

There are two folders listed under 'passwords';

Passwords: default
    Passwords: login

When I unlock the latter, there is one entry which says 'unlock password for default keyring'

Under 'Passwords: default' there are many different entries.

To add to the plot my system now no longer boots to the desktop and instead goes to the login screen, but instead of requesting a user and password it simply says 'Automatically login' and pressing enter goes to the desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by chargrims View Post
    There are two folders listed under 'passwords';

Passwords: default
    Passwords: login

When I unlock the latter, there is one entry which says 'unlock password for default keyring'

Under 'Passwords: default' there are many different entries.

To add to the plot my system now no longer boots to the desktop and instead goes to the login screen, but instead of requesting a user and password it simply says 'Automatically login' and pressing enter goes to the desktop.
    Same here but I noticed two "Desktop Couch user authentication", one has details tab basic and the other oauth. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. This system was an upgrade to 10.10 from 10.04. My laptop was a 10.10 clean install which doesn't have this issue.
    Thank a veteran -- George 8)
    Internet Coach & Writer
    Personal Blog -- 3 Joes' Blog

Beans

This system was a clean install, although the home partition was left as is - this has caused some permissions problems during previous upgrades.

I tried changing the login keyring to be set as default, but now even though I've changed it back, I get a message on login saying 'The default keyring did not unlock' which requests the password again.

Beans

Have now resolved the latter complication re: the login screen. Went in to System/Administration/Login Screen and "Allow 10 seconds for anyone else to log in first" had become checked. Unchecking this causes a boot straight to desktop and the message re: the default keyring not unlocking has now gone.

However I'm back to the problem as originally presented. Can anyone help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have the same issue. With Automatic Login activated, I get three separate password requests once my desktop loads up.

Beans

Same issue here, upgrade to 10.10 from 10.04, anyone can help?

Beans

Identical issue moving from 10.04 to 10.10 via Update Manager on SonyVIAO COREduo. I only have a login keyring and I've tried changing the password and rebooting to no avail.

Just annoying really.
    Last edited by jfred99; December 3rd, 2010 at 04:22 AM. Reason: new info

Beans

My other idea is to delete the files located in your ~/.gnome2/keyrings folder. If you logout and back in, you should have to enter your password to rebuild the keyring... hopefully that will stop the password prompts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast