Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HP deskjet 1050 j410

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

HP deskjet 1050 j410

Seem to be having problems getting a HP deskjet 1050 j410 to work at all under lucid. The add a printer section just sees it as a 1000c and doest let me print, scan, or anything. Suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HP deskjet 1050 j410

Well its actually the 1055 j410 AiO, and I'm still having no luck Just got the hplip from the HP website, Ill give it a shot when I get home and see how that goes.

Beans

You will find what you need here:

http://hplipopensource.com

Beans

Smile Re: HP deskjet 1050 j410

Please remember to call HP and ask them to either make their printer CUPS compatible (preferred) or to provide drivers and instructions in the CD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well the latest version of hplip from their website seems to have done the trick. Still no scanner function, but from what I have read its a very common and well known problem. A reply from HP is "We will be supporting your OS in a future release" which is the same thing I've read on forum after forum. Oh well can't win them all, thank you for your help. I'll keep pushing them to better support the Linux OS, and in particular Ubuntu. I am a college student and can honestly say its popularity is growing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shinobi View Post
    Well the latest version of hplip from their website seems to have done the trick. Still no scanner function, but from what I have read its a very common and well known problem.
    Can you name the version of lip that you have ...i believe you have Ubuntu Lucid 10.4 right.
    i have the same distro but it does not detect the device. And the official Hplip says that the scan feature is unsupported (such a sad thing)

BTY its good to hear that you like Ubuntu!!
    Last edited by richlyn9; November 28th, 2010 at 04:53 PM.
    Regards Richlyn
    Windows XP,Lucid and Oneric multi boot
    160 and 500 HDD,2 GB Ram

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shinobi View Post
    Well the latest version of hplip from their website seems to have done the trick. Still no scanner function, but from what I have read its a very common and well known problem. A reply from HP is "We will be supporting your OS in a future release" which is the same thing I've read on forum after forum. Oh well can't win them all, thank you for your help. I'll keep pushing them to better support the Linux OS, and in particular Ubuntu. I am a college student and can honestly say its popularity is growing.
    Hi,

For the time being as a work around, please do the following steps;

Open /usr/share/hplip/data/models/models.dat file as root. Go to section [deskjet_1050_j410_series] and set "io-mfp-mode=1" and "scan-type=7" and save the file.

Now your scan should work.

Beans

I just bought the same printer today. Unfortunately no one was able to help me get online at the shops to check out the compatibility with Ubuntu so I decided to just take a chance. As luck would have it, when I connected it to my laptop the printer was detected but not the scanner. But, I couldn't even print out a test page.

I've tried editing the dat file as you've prescribed and I can now at least print. Sadly, the scanner doesn't work. Is it possible you've missed another setting?

To make matters worse, I bought it primarily for the scan function as I need to prepare some work in a hurry.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Pirschjaeger View Post
    I just bought the same printer today. Unfortunately no one was able to help me get online at the shops to check out the compatibility with Ubuntu so I decided to just take a chance. As luck would have it, when I connected it to my laptop the printer was detected but not the scanner. But, I couldn't even print out a test page.

I've tried editing the dat file as you've prescribed and I can now at least print. Sadly, the scanner doesn't work. Is it possible you've missed another setting?

To make matters worse, I bought it primarily for the scan function as I need to prepare some work in a hurry.
    Okay...this is from memory.

1. Download the hplip-3.10.9.tar.gz from SourceForge to your desktop.
    2. Extract Here, Open the untarred folder and find the models.dat.
    3. Go to section [deskjet_1050_j410_series] and set "io-mfp-mode=1" and "scan-type=7" (don't forget to remove the DASH from the -1 on scan-type=-1 default also, it happened to me...lol) and save the file.
    4. Open a terminal
    5. (if you're not already root) enter
    Code:
    sudo -i
    6. enter root user password (if requested)
    7. enter
    Code:
    cd hplip-3.10.9/
    (not sure about the backslash)
    8. enter
    Code:
    ./configure
    (let it finish)
    9. enter
    Code:
    make
    (let it finish)
    10. enter
    Code:
    make install
    (let it finish)
    11. close terminal and restart Ubuntu (you may not need to but I do it anyway)
    12. After reboot, turn on the printer, go to Accessories and click on the HP icon to open the HP Device Manager...you should see Scan under the Actions tab.
    Last edited by Dred; December 23rd, 2010 at 04:22 PM.

Beans

Hi Dred,

I've already downloaded and installed the file and while I have 'scan' in the HP options, it still fails. I've tried in vain both Simple Scan and Xsane.

The easiest thing to do would be to order a scanner online but there are a few obstacles:

1) I live in China but don't speak Chinese.

2) There are issues with trust when it comes to ordering anything here.

3) The Sane list of in/compatibility is just too long and complex to print out and carry.

4) It's too far and too complicated to run back and forth to a store. I did try checking the net at the shops but everyone uses Windows on dinosaur systems and inadequate net connections. In short, I was unable to access the sites I needed.

I have the worse luck for choosing hardware. I always seem to chose something incompatible with Linux or discontinued. If anyone is worried about making the same mistakes they should first ask what I would by and then stay far away from my recommendations.

I've needed to build a new rig for sometime now but have been putting it off for the reasons mentioned above. It would be a great service for people if there were a site when you could pick and choose hardware and get instant feedback on compatibility. Alas we live not in a perfect world.

I've infected/installed one of my rigs with Windows/Linux dual-boot so I can at least use the scanner on that.

Thanks for the help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast