Thread: screen goes black halfway through boot, help

Beans

screen goes black halfway through boot, help

I have an asus netbook with an intel GMA integrated chip. until now i had been using the out of the box drivers, hadn't changed anything, and it worked ok. I tried installing a graphics driver and rebooted. This time i got the command line only, logged in, uninstalled the driver (apt-get remove) and rebooted, now after i choose ubuntu in GRUB an instant after the ubuntu loading screen comes on it goes to black. I'm trying to find a way from within GRUB to get it to do a command-line boot so i could force it to use the default drivers (how would i do this exactly?), but when i press "e" and then put "text" at the end of the "kernel" line it doesn't change anything. so what do i do from here? worst case scenario i reinstall ubuntu. I realize that i probably did something really stupid here. any help or insight you guys can give would be great, thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: screen goes black halfway through boot, help

Quote Originally Posted by scimor5 View Post
    I have an asus netbook with an intel GMA integrated chip. until now i had been using the out of the box drivers, hadn't changed anything, and it worked ok. I tried installing a graphics driver and rebooted. This time i got the command line only, logged in, uninstalled the driver (apt-get remove) and rebooted, now after i choose ubuntu in GRUB an instant after the ubuntu loading screen comes on it goes to black. I'm trying to find a way from within GRUB to get it to do a command-line boot so i could force it to use the default drivers (how would i do this exactly?), but when i press "e" and then put "text" at the end of the "kernel" line it doesn't change anything. so what do i do from here? worst case scenario i reinstall ubuntu. I realize that i probably did something really stupid here. any help or insight you guys can give would be great, thanks.
    Use the options to boot into recovery mode.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

Re: screen goes black halfway through boot, help

recovery mode goes to black aswell