Thread: Freeciv 2.2.1 has no menus in UNR 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Freeciv 2.2.1 has no menus in UNR 10.10

My son and I both have Acer AO532h netbooks, his is still running UNR 10.04 but I've "upgraded" to UNR 10.10 (quotes because it's caused a fair bit of hassle and I'm not sure the launcher is an improvement)

We both installed Freeciv this morning. I was able to find in forums how to get it to behave on a 1024x600 screen using (Game > Local > Options > Interface > "Arrange widgets for small displays") but was only able to get this to work on the 10.04 install.

On my 10.10 UNR install, freeciv client has NO MENUS. Mine is freeciv 2.2.1, and once started, the client window only shows "File" menu, and its only item is "Close".

His install is 2.1.10 on UNR 10.04 and he's playing away with the above setting changed.

I will now try to figure out how to regress to freeciv 2.1.10 to see if that helps. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Freeciv 2.2.1 has no menus in UNR 10.10

I too have the Acer 532h and running 10.10 (albeit in 2d mode, Unity just too slow) and had the same problem with Freeciv in that there were no menus.

I looked up the keyboard shortcuts for Freeciv and found F10 activates the game menu. Upon hitting F10 not only the game menu but all the other menus appeared, and remained visible throughout the course of the game. However it is something that I have to do each time I start the game, but they will remain visible once they have been "unhidden".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by milam View Post
    I too have the Acer 532h and running 10.10 (albeit in 2d mode, Unity just too slow) and had the same problem with Freeciv in that there were no menus.

I looked up the keyboard shortcuts for Freeciv and found F10 activates the game menu. Upon hitting F10 not only the game menu but all the other menus appeared, and remained visible throughout the course of the game. However it is something that I have to do each time I start the game, but they will remain visible once they have been "unhidden".
    Thanks for the workaround, Milam.

When I hit F10, it does pop up the menus, but they do not persist after I hit escape...

Mine does not start fullscreen, I've hit ALT+Enter to go to full screen, F10 still works to pop up menus, but they still do not persist. All the same, this should make the game playable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by milam View Post
    Would you mind explaining how you reverted to "2D Mode"? I was just searching for info on how to revert my desktop to the old 10.04 interface and now realize this is what you were referring to here.

I'm guessing Unity is the new "launcher/desktop". It's Okay in theory, but some glaring omissions make it horrible. I find launching an app that's not on my (bar at left) is excruciatingly slow, that clicking the Ubuntu logo at topleft is utterly useless, and am not sure I wan to give up 50? horizontal pixels all the time!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by ynaught View Post
    Would you mind explaining how you reverted to "2D Mode"? I was just searching for info on how to revert my desktop to the old 10.04 interface and now realize this is what you were referring to here.
    Nevermind; I worked it out. The bit I was missing was the desktop selector during login--it does not show up until you select a user!

In "2D Mode" I find that the menus do persist, as you said. They never did in Unity.

However, when the menus are drawn, the game no longer fits on my screen, and presents a scrollbar on right! Guess that's one way to hide the menubar...