Thread: Can't mount / won't recognise blank CD-R

Beans

Thumbs down Can't mount / won't recognise blank CD-R

Hi

I've searched the forums and found several posts for similar problems but haven't yet found a solution to my problem.

I first realised something was wrong when I attempted to burn a CD using Brasero. Brasero said "please replace the disc with a supported CD or DVD". I tried using K3b, Gnome Baker, Gnome CD Master and encountered the same problem every time - they didn't recognise the blank CD-R in the drive.

In Gnome Baker I opened Edit => Preferences => Devices and discovered that only one of my CD drives is listed with a mount point. The CD-R drive (the one I need to burn CDs) doesn't have a mount point.

I tried using fstab to alter this by entering a new line so that it now reads:

/dev/scd1 /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

Back in the terminal, I entered

cat /proc/filesystems
    which returned

nodev sysfs
    nodev rootfs
    nodev bdev
    nodev proc
    nodev cgroup
    nodev cpuset
    nodev tmpfs
    nodev devtmpfs
    nodev debugfs
    nodev securityfs
    nodev sockfs
    nodev pipefs
    nodev anon_inodefs
    nodev inotifyfs
    nodev devpts
    ext3
    ext2
    ext4
    nodev ramfs
    nodev hugetlbfs
    nodev ecryptfs
    nodev fuse
    fuseblk
    nodev fusectl
    nodev mqueue
    nodev binfmt_misc

Running

wodim --devices

returned

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    0 dev='/dev/scd0' rwrw-- : 'PHILIPS' 'DROM6216'
    1 dev='/dev/scd1' rwrw-- : 'HL-DT-ST' 'DVDRRW GSA-4164B'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if this is relevant, but these drives were listed in Gnome Baker as sr1 and sr0 instead of scd0 etc.

I'm running Ubuntu 10.10.

Can anyone help me please. I found the actions I describe above by Googling and visiting a few sites. I'm still a Linux noob I'm afraid. I'm really stuck and it's horribly frustrating - I just want to burn a couple of iso files to CD!

Thank you.

Beans

Re: Can't mount / won't recognise blank CD-R

Looks to me like you needs firmware upgrade. try search in cdfreaks and see if you find anything for that particular device. Report back.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cucu007 View Post
    Looks to me like you needs firmware upgrade. try search in cdfreaks and see if you find anything for that particular device. Report back.

Thank you so much for your response. I looked into it and read that updating firmware can cause problems unless I know EXACTLY what I'm doing and install precisely the right driver... so I chickened out and have bought an inexpensive external CD drive instead. Yes, I'm a coward as well as a Linux ignoramus

Thank you again. Will mark this as solved.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pariate369 View Post
    Thank you so much for your response. I looked into it and read that updating firmware can cause problems unless I know EXACTLY what I'm doing and install precisely the right driver... so I chickened out and have bought an inexpensive external CD drive instead. Yes, I'm a coward as well as a Linux ignoramus

Thank you again. Will mark this as solved.

I think you are doing the right thing, you can find a cheap drive these days at newegg, probably under $20 bucks.