Thread: Sharing files between Windows and Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sharing files between Windows and Ubuntu

I have a rather simple question...at least I hope. I run a dual boot of Win7 64bit and Lucid 32bit. Whilst using Ubuntu, (the majority of the time) I can access my whole ******* side and see all the files. When I'm using *******, it doesn't even recognize that I have this Linux partition. Is there a way that I can access the files on Ubuntu from *******? Right now I have to keep most of the files on the ******* partition so this can be done. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop, Intel CoreTM i5 520M), 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, 512MB ATI Mobility RadeonTM HD4330 Integrated Intel HD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Sharing files between Windows and Ubuntu

If you know anything about partitioning, create a partition which is big enough to house your files. Personally, I wouldn't want Windows to see my Ubuntu install b/c of the fear that a windows virus could damage my stuff.
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

Beans

You might try Ext2Read - http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2read/

I used to use tools of this kind (but never this one) for reading my Linux partitions, before deciding that Windows was too much of a pane in the glass.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you both for the quick response. Yea I figured it was going to be something like that but I was trying to NOT do another partition I'll download that app and see how it works. I truly wish I could just give up the ******* entirely..more than anything but I do a lot of music production and unfortunately need it. Thanks very much though..trying Ext2Read.

Cheers!
    Dell Inspiron 1764 Laptop, Intel CoreTM i5 520M), 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz, 512MB ATI Mobility RadeonTM HD4330 Integrated Intel HD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

While certainly not optimal, you could create a Fat32 (vfat) partition that was visible to both dual-boot personalities. There are lots of reasons why fat32 file systems are problematic, but at least they are read-write for win-doze and linux alike.

Another much more complex option involves using VirtualBox or similar and "virtualize" one of your personalities.

Bonne chance,
    ~~~ 0;-Dan
    "All government spending, regardless of the motives, uses YOUR money."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by SaintDanBert View Post
    While certainly not optimal, you could create a Fat32 (vfat) partition that was visible to both dual-boot personalities. There are lots of reasons why fat32 file systems are problematic, but at least they are read-write for win-doze and linux alike.

Another much more complex option involves using VirtualBox or similar and "virtualize" one of your personalities.

Bonne chance,
    ~~~ 0;-Dan
    The second option would be kind of awesome. I need to try that sometime.
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I do not like to have a foreign system write into another system's partition. I read from my XP partition but do not write into it except for repairs.

Also many windows users recommend that you have a separate data partition with windows, so when you have to reinstall windows your data does not have to be reinstalled.

I used a FAT partition as my shared partition with XP for several years but then realized that some larger files over 4GB were corrupted. I converted to NTFS, but you still need to run chkdsk on the NTFS partition occasionally.

I still have my NTFS shared partition, but am in windows so little that most of my data is in a /data partition that I use instead of a separate /home for all my other data.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grepcat View Post
    You might try Ext2Read - http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2read/

I used to use tools of this kind (but never this one) for reading my Linux partitions, before deciding that Windows was too much of a pane in the glass.
    Thank you for this little programme! It works just wonderfully!!!

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ki4jgt View Post
    The second option would be kind of awesome. I need to try that sometime.
    Got my KI4 call in Roswell, GA 1979.
    73 OM de KI4MQ
    QTH Austin TX

... and phone texters thought they had a corner
    on cryptic...
    "All government spending, regardless of the motives, uses YOUR money."