Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD To Challenge Intel Atom With Netbook Platforms

Beans
    Hidden!

AMD To Challenge Intel Atom With Netbook Platforms

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20022295-64.html

Advanced Micro Devices appears ready to offer the stiffest challenge to Intel's Netbook processor yet. AMD's trump card: extra circuitry integrated into the main processor that brings a higher level of graphics horsepower to small, thin laptops.

Today, at the company's finanical analyst day, AMD announced an umbrella technology dubbed "Brazos" that comprises two new lines of processors for Netbooks ("Ontario") and small laptops ("Zacate").

Beans

Re: AMD To Challenge Intel Atom With Netbook Platforms

Yes, many years of war between AMD and Intel. War with one clear victor: ME. The more they fight, the more faster and cheaper hardware we get. Keep it on.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    Yes, many years of war between AMD and Intel. War with one clear victor: ME. The more they fight, the more faster and cheaper hardware we get. Keep it on.
    Bingo.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Tbh, ARM should really be ruling the netbook market, but Microsoft haven't got off their butts and produced a viable ARM port, and the OEMs are too scared to take another punt on Linux after Asus got their fingers burned with Xandros.

If Canonical could convince one of the big OEMs to make a credible push with Ubuntu on ARM then they could shift the whole market away from x86, but i'm not holding my breath.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Bingo.
    Bango. (+1)

Beans

What took them so long?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    OEMs are too scared
    OEM don't feel anything.
    Now.... what is wrong with OEMS is what is wrong with the game industry:
    1. Does it work?
    if yes, then don't change it
    2. Did that hype over there work?
    YES! Follow the leader! QUICK! IGNORE WHAT MADE IT GOOD! COPY COPY COPY!
    3. We have a good idea, the marked needs it desperately, we will be rich if we do this. Can we do it?
    No, its not a proven idea, and you will not be allowed to even attempt to do anything that is not proven by sales

1. is not bad.
    2. is not bad either... if it where not for the sake they tend to ignore why it works.
    Example: Tablets marked.
    There has been several AGES since Apple hit the shelves with their iPad, and they are more or less alone in the marked when it comes to having actual markedshare.
    And what is the industry doing then? They are just spewing out tablets, completely ignoring why the iPad worked.....
    The same applies to games, look at the MMO MARKED!
    And then 3. hits, which is the real problem: Everyone who gots money DO NOT DARE! to innovate, or attempt it, unless somebody else did it. All they do is to copycat it, and they do not allow any form of "experiments", even thou it would not cost revenue, and the marked is screaming for it!
    Doing anything else than defaulting is a "risk", no matter how completely ridicule it is. And that my gentlemen, is the problem with the industry, and it will not fix itself, but it won't fix itself.

The only "innovators" are the people producing the barebone tech, and the companies who are too small to have automagically earn money.
    Nintendo is a innovator, but they are not pushing it.
    Look at the kinetic: It got potential, but MS will never force anybody to do what needs to be done: Actually using it for something new.
    Gears of Wars was orginally a starcraft: ghost clone until blizzard cancelled it, guess where that lead us to? Not bad, but the point is there: The industry is the worst example of the "Follow the leader"-syndrom.

Beans

I can't find any word on whether Brazos will include the AES-NI extension. That will be critical for keeping performance up on these easily lost and stolen systems using FDE.

Anyone heard anything?

Beans

Now the problem will be whether manufacturers will put these chips in decent products. Intel's succeeding Atom (Oak Trail) platform will still hold nothing against Brazos, as it is reported to be only a 10% increase in performance over the current Pine Trail platform. Not to mention Oak Trail won't show up till at least Q3 2011, where as apparently these products will be available early Q1. I just really hope AMD met the battery life expectations.
    ASUS X202E - Intel Core i3 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB Seagate HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

All I want is a low powered laptop (netbook) with a 12" screen and the ability to play flash and HD video and get 6+ hours of battery life doing so... all for under $400.

I don't care who makes the chips as long as its available

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast