Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: grub rescue problem

Beans

Exclamation grub rescue problem

hi,

I have used 'wubi' to dual boot my computer with windows vista home premuim and ubuntu 10. I was updating everything on ubuntu including GRUB,for the first time, and then I rebooted my computer

then it read ...

"error no such device "(then a load of numbers and letters)" " (followed by on the next line)

"grub rescue>"

now I cannot even go onto windows , it does not give me the option to.

I tried system restore "shift + f10" and nothing happens...

I have an acer aspire 5720 laptop dual booted with ubuntu 10 and windows vista home premuim

can somebody please help me to fix this problem or restore my computer to defualt settings,

THANKS!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: grub rescue problem

Quote Originally Posted by rupertismydog View Post
    hi,

I have used 'wubi' to dual boot my computer with windows vista home premuim and ubuntu 10. I was updating everything on ubuntu including GRUB,for the first time, and then I rebooted my computer

then it read ...

"error no such device "(then a load of numbers and letters)" " (followed by on the next line)

"grub rescue>"

now I cannot even go onto windows , it does not give me the option to.

I tried system restore "shift + f10" and nothing happens...

I have an acer aspire 5720 laptop dual booted with ubuntu 10 and windows vista home premuim

can somebody please help me to fix this problem or restore my computer to defualt settings,

THANKS!!!
    You need to reinstall the windows bootloader. There is a bug in grub that's been overwriting the drive MBR lately.
    Either boot a windows repair CD/DVD and reinstall the bootloader (bootrec.exe /fixmbr) or boot an ubuntu live CD, and run:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lilo
    sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr

Beans

thanks,but ubuntu live does not work (same error message) I was wondering if I bought windows 7 when I install it off the disk would it clean everything and install? so no GRUB or anything would be left behind???

(windows 7 profesional)

THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP SO FAR THOUGH

Beans

Arrow Re: grub rescue problem

all help is greatly appreciated but I am 12 and do not really understand complex stuff as I am a complete beginner,so if you were to break down explanations well sort of...
    it would be greatly appreciated.
    THANKS!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You don't need to reinstall. When your computer starts, the first thing it does it look for something to boot, in your case, it's your internal hard drive. Then it looks for the master boot record on the drive (where the bootloader is stored).

What is happening now is that ubuntu replaced your windows bootloader with grub2. That's all (no other damage). And all you need to do is replace it.

In order to do this, you have to boot off some other device. In your case, the CD ROM. But you need to tell the computer to do this.

Two ways - most modern computers have a Boot Options key (it's F12 on my computer). When you first turn it on a screen briefly flashes and shows two things - a key to enter BIOS and a key for boot options. If you can get the boot options key, then it will give you a menu, and you select to boot off the CD/DVD. That's the easiest.

Once you're booting from your Ubuntu CD, select "Try without installing". Then once it loads the desktop, Click on Applicatios, Accessories, Terminal. This gets you to the command line.
    Then run:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lilo
    You'll see a popup with some info, tab to OK and hit enter. You can ignore the info - that refers to a different use of Lilo than what you'll be using.
    Then install the lilo bootloader in a form that is equivalent to Windows.
    Code:
    sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr
    That should be it, "exit" from terminal, shutdown, removing CD, and reboot.

If you want more explanation, just ask.
    Last edited by bcbc; July 28th, 2010 at 06:37 PM.

Beans

Exclamation Re: grub rescue problem

would fedora or something do the trick also as the ubuntu live usb does not work,It gets to the menu ok but when you click try without installing it shows the same error message!?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rupertismydog View Post
    would fedora or something do the trick also as the ubuntu live usb does not work,It gets to the menu ok but when you click try without installing it shows the same error message!?
    that's strange. Did the live USB ever work?

I haven't used fedora. You should be able to repace your bootloader using any system that can install lilo, or any windows repair cd.

But the commands to install lilo may be different if it's not debian based, and if it doesn't use sudo you'll have to run it as root.

Beans

well, thanks bcbc for the explanation.. very clear, so thanks
    I had the same problem but couldn't figure out what's happening so i re-installed Ubuntu and formatted my HDD without meaning that..

Beans

Arrow Re: grub rescue problem

thanks for help so far

does anyone know of any other debien linux distrobutions apart from ubuntu because
    ubuntu does not seem to work...

Beans

Exclamation Re: grub rescue problem

ubuntu now working...

got to terminal typed code it installed lilo,

then typed the other code

more text then closed terminal reebooted and nothing happened...

HAVE I NOT DONE THE PROCESS RIGHT????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast