Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I reset S.M.A.R.T status of a drive?

Beans

How do I reset S.M.A.R.T status of a drive?

I have a report appearing in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (and by the BIOS at boot time) about one of my drives.

It is an old PATA drive that is non-critical. It says disk failure is imminent, and finds 113 bad sectors. Basically it has had some write errors and relocated some sectors. I want to keep using it - nothing important on it that I don't have copies of elsewhere.

There number of errors is not increasing. I'd like to just watch it and see if more errors occur. Is there a way to reset the alarm so it doesn't nag me until it happens again.

Beans

Re: How do I reset S.M.A.R.T status of a drive?

a reply to the above also interests me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It is my understanding that you cannot clear the stats, save by replacing the controller circuitry on the bottom of the HDD. perhaps attacking the software firing the alarm is the best bet.

hope you get it worked out

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I would say, no.
    Last edited by searchfgold6789; November 8th, 2010 at 11:10 PM.
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by endotherm View Post
    It is my understanding that you cannot clear the stats, save by replacing the controller circuitry on the bottom of the HDD. perhaps attacking the software firing the alarm is the best bet.

hope you get it worked out

Since the BIOS is causing it to halt at boot time until I respond, I would need to have a look there as well. I will see if SMART checking can be turned off on an individual basis in the BIOS.

Meanwhile the software reporting it under Ubuntu seems to be part of the gnome desktop, installed by default. It appears in the system tray and when you click on the alarm, it launches something called Disk Utility 2.30.1 (copyright Redhat). Is there any way to configure that?

Beans

I also wanted to add that I never had any problems until recently when I turned on the automatic suspend feature to save some power when I was away from the computer. After a week of auto-suspending, I now get this error. Just coincidence or does suspend do nasties to hard drives sometimes?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ubnewbie2 View Post
    I have a report appearing in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (and by the BIOS at boot time) about one of my drives.

It is an old PATA drive that is non-critical. It says disk failure is imminent, and finds 113 bad sectors. Basically it has had some write errors and relocated some sectors. I want to keep using it - nothing important on it that I don't have copies of elsewhere.

There number of errors is not increasing. I'd like to just watch it and see if more errors occur. Is there a way to reset the alarm so it doesn't nag me until it happens again.
    Go into the Disk Manager and select "Don't warn me if the disk is failing" in SMART.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ubnewbie2 View Post

Once SMART gets tripped it can not be reset by the end user. SMART is a preemptive indication of a mechanical failure. Check if the drive is in warranty. Get it replaced anyways as it is not worth (time & efforts) to store data on that drive.
    Chetan Bhargava
    http://www.bhargavaz.us/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It is an old PATA drive that is non-critical
    Quote Originally Posted by cbhargava View Post
    Check if the drive is in warranty. Get it replaced anyways as it is not worth (time & efforts) to store data on that drive.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    Go into the Disk Manager and select "Don't warn me if the disk is failing" in SMART.

Thank you. I had missed that check box stuck down at the bottom of the window. That has stopped it complaining.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast