Thread: boot error: "lvm device name does not begin with /dev/mapper/

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

boot error: "lvm device name does not begin with /dev/mapper/

I was offline a few months and recently ran all the updates since July. I have two kernels in my boot menu, realtime and lowlatency. Since running updates, I can boot the realtime kernel (it is first on the menu) but when I try to run the lowlatency kernel, I get the following error:

cryptsetup: lvm device name (/dev/disk/by-uuid/.......) does not begin with /dev/mapper/

I usually run the realtime kernel only when recording stuff, and the lowlatency otherwise, since I have fewer problems running Skype with the latter.

Is there a way I can fix this? All my drives are encrypted lvms, and /home is also on a RAID 5 array (lvm, encrypted). I remember having to tweak some things in grub and maybe fstab when I first set it up, but I haven't been able to fix this particular problem since the updates ran. It has been four or five months since I modified those files, and I can't remember exactly what to do, or what to look for. I haven't been able to locate this problem on any other threads, either.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: boot error: "lvm device name does not begin with /dev/mapper/

Just a possibility that dmraid has intervened to look for fakeraid devices in /dev/mapper. Since you don't seem to be using fakeraid you might try uninstalling the unneeded dmraid.
    12.10 Quantal w/grub2/Mint13 installed on raid0, Gigabyte AMD MB, AMD 64x4 CPUs at 3.2GHz, 16 GB ram, HD7770 ATI video, dual boot win7 on 64gb ssd and win8 on 1Tb SATA raid. 13.04 installed on raid0 and ssd