Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: gnome boot from terminal

Beans

Re: gnome boot from terminal

sikander 3786 i tryed what you asked and after the command

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    i got 2 failed msg:
    W: failed to fetch http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dist...ck/Release.gpg something wicked happened resolving 'extras.ubuntu.com:http' (-5 no address associated with host name)

W: failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/di...ty/Release.gpg something wicked happened resolvingsecurity.ubuntu.com:http (-5 no address associated with host name)

E: some files failed to download, they have been ignored or old ones used instead

then after that i continued with the rest of the codes and nothing else went wrong other than not getting into gnome

Beans

Howdy Preston:

The command: cat, as we used it, does nothing more that print the contents of the file to your screen.

You can learn more from:
    Code:
    man cat
    Thanks for posting the output you got. I didn't see anything in there that was a problem. It looks like a virgin grub file. So, evidently, you haven't made any mods to it.

The update-initramfs command just updates some of your kernel initialization files in case there are pending changes to them, similar for update-grub, it just updates some of your grub files if there are any pending changes.

Sorry to read that sikander's suggestion didn't work. I was hoping it would. It dealt with updating, upgrading, and reinstalling Gnome. After that he had you fix any broken dependencies and finally, configure any unpacked but unconfigured packages. All of that is pretty safe stuff.

You can learn more about what he was telling you from:
    Code:
    man apt-get
    man dpkg
    I really didn't like the looks of the errors you got. For some reason, something wicked happened that prevented your downloads.

As I said earlier, sikander's suggestions were pretty safe in that he didn't leave you any worse off than you were. That's the mark of a good helper.

Now...I'm going to recommend something that's the mark of a bad helper. If it doesn't work not only are you going to be worse off than you were before, because Gnome will be completely gone, but you may need to perform a fresh installation of Ubuntu from scratch.

So...if you aren't terribly resistant to having to start all over with a fresh installation you could try this first:

Completely remove Gnome and all of its configuration files:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge gdm
    Next, install Gnome from scratch:
    Note: if your download problem persists you can pretty much kiss Gnome good-bye because the step above blew it off your system. So pray that the following install command is able to run without download failures.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gdm
    If you got this far without any errors, then sikander's last two commands wouldn't hurt:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    There wouldn't be any harm in cleaning things up a bit either:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    Reboot.

If none of this worked, then you're probably better off starting with a brand new shiny fresh installation. How about that for a cop-out?

Good Luck,

Crusty
    Last edited by Crusty Old Fart; November 8th, 2010 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Correcting an error in the apg-get purge command
    Suffering from severe chronic female supervision deficiency syndrome resulting in
    an increasing intolerance of adolescent scatological effluence and PMS induced nefarious diatribe.
    How to: Mark your thread as: [SOLVED]

Beans

it wouldnt let me purge gdm i got a msg saying

E: invalid operation gdm

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by preston collins View Post
    it wouldnt let me purge gdm i got a msg saying

E: invalid operation gdm
    A thousand apologies, Preston. I goofed up. The purge command should have been:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge gdm
    It should work now.

I'm going back to correct my original post.

So sorry about that,

Crusty
    Suffering from severe chronic female supervision deficiency syndrome resulting in
    an increasing intolerance of adolescent scatological effluence and PMS induced nefarious diatribe.

Beans

just gave all that a shot and it had no errors but it still didnt get me onto gnome

do you think that my video card could be affecting it cause right now im useing my onboard vid to see everything and on the other screen it has a few lines of txt

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by preston collins View Post
    just gave all that a shot and it had no errors but it still didnt get me onto gnome

do you think that my video card could be affecting it cause right now im useing my onboard vid to see everything and on the other screen it has a few lines of txt
    Oh man, oh man, oh man...running dual monitors injects all sorts of complications into the mix. Let's try getting things running with just one monitor for now. I'll try to help you with the dual head setup after we get things running right on a single head.

So, please...unplug the secondary monitor, reboot, and let's see how that goes.

Beans

so i unplugged the cable and pulled the card out and redid the last few codes and nothing exciting happened and no errors so i guess thats good

Beans

Okay...good...so did gnome behave itself finally?

Beans

nope not yet still in the terminal layout

Beans

Okay...I need some more information.

Please run the following commands and copy|paste the output into a reply post.
    Code:
    sudo lshw -short
    lspci -tvv
    The lshw command will dump some hardware information to your screen.
    The lspci command will dump a tree structure of you PCI interfaces to your screen.

I need to take a look at this info before going any further.

Thanks.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast