Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto mount NTFS (windows) partition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Auto mount NTFS (windows) partition

Hi guys.

I have a windows partition on my drive, and I want to access it without having to mount it first, etc. There are just two partitions, windows and Ubuntu. I am running Ubuntu 10.04.1 so I want to mount it on startup.

How would I do this? I saw this article: http://maketecheasier.com/auto-mount...ntu/2009/04/14 but I don't know if what it describes will work as it's almost 2 years old. I'm not adverse to commands, in fact would probably prefer those.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: Auto mount NTFS (windows) partition

There are tools like ntfs-config for make that automount easier. Both auto and manual mounting is explained here.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=217009

But mounting a Windows partition inside Ubuntu is not recommended. It might corrupt your Windows install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just wanted it to mount in the same way as I mount it normally by clicking in the "50GB Filesystem" button under places. That hasn't caused me any problems, so this shouldn't either?

Beans
    Hidden!

10.04 comes with all the necessary tools to mount the NTFS partition I suppose. All you have to do is add another line to your /etc/fstab file to mount it at startup.

Code:
    sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.bak 
    gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
    and then add something like this to the file (at the very bottom).

/dev/sda2 /media/Windows ntfs rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=<user>,gid=<user>,umask=022 0 1
    where "/dev/sda2" is the name of your device. If you do not know the name of your device, the run the "df" command when you have the windows partition mounted. It will show the list of all the mounted devices and there you can see the name of your windows partition as something like "/dev/sdaX" or similar. Replace <user> by your username.
    Last edited by kniwor; November 7th, 2010 at 06:08 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

if these packages are installed you might find it under: Places - mobil devices

ntfsprogs
    ntfs-3g

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kniwor View Post
    10.04 comes with all the necessary tools to mount the NTFS partition I suppose. All you have to do is add another line to your /etc/fstab file to mount it at startup.

Code:
    sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.bak 
    gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
    and then add something like this to the file (at the very bottom).

/dev/sda2 /media/Windows ntfs rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=<user>,gid=<user>,umask=022 0 1
    where "/dev/sda2" is the name of your device. If you do not know the name of your device, the run the "df" command when you have the windows partition mounted. It will show the list of all the mounted devices and there you can see the name of your windows partition as something like "/dev/sdaX" or similar. Replace <user> by your username.
    Hi, just to clarify on the line I add to the fstab file, would "/media/windows" be replaced with the drive name?

here's the output of df, with the line pertaining to my NTFS partition:

Code:
    /dev/sda1             48837576  43720952   5116624  90% /media/2E94B9A794B97247
    so like:

Code:
    /dev/sda1 /media/2E94B9A794B97247 ntfs rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=<user>,gid=<user>,umask=022 0 1
    With the appropriate user name in place?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ntfs-config is the way to go. easy gui.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ntfs-config

Beans
    Hidden!

@Strategist01

That is right, but the name does not have to be that, you can pick whatever you like. But exactly that line should also work fine (with the appropriate username).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kniwor View Post
    @Strategist01

That is right, but the name does not have to be that, you can pick whatever you like. But exactly that line should also work fine (with the appropriate username).
    Ok thanks, I added that line - now I will see if it will work when I next boot up.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sikander3786 View Post
    There are tools like ntfs-config for make that automount easier. Both auto and manual mounting is explained here.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=217009

But mounting a Windows partition inside Ubuntu is not recommended. It might corrupt your Windows install.
    That's a BIG might there, pal. I've never corrupted a windows install when mounting a windows partition inside linux. Or is this some Ubuntu only problem I don't know about?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast