Thread: Change/disable keyring password in 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Change/disable keyring password in 10.10

My apologies for bringing up a subject that looks well documented on the forums but this relates to a later version of Ubuntu and the solutions I've read seem to relate to earlier versions.

I've done a complete install of Ubuntu Desktop 10.10 on my father's Samsung N140. I've allocated him a password that pops up at login and in the usual places when installing new apps. HOwever I am also being asked for the default keyring password to access the wifi network. I didn't assign a default keyring password and I don't know how to disable it.

I've tried following one solution that involved going to Passwords and Encryption Keys but I was told to use the one under Applications and NOT under System. I can only see the one under system.

Does anyone know if there is a standard password for default keyring? I don't think I want to disable it, I just want to use the same password as login.

Apologies for asking an old question!
    **** www.followtheboat.com ****
    Tales (not just) from the high seas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Change/disable keyring password in 10.10

The fix is to change the password for login in seahorse:

To change the login password in seahorse press alt-F2 and type in: seahorse
    Go to the Passwords tab (the left tab)
    Right-click on Passwords: login
    Select change password
    Type in your old login password, then enter the new login password twice.

This should sync the passwords and solve your problem. If you only want to synchronize then use the same password for old and new

You need to do this also if a user changes his/her login password in the "about me" option of the admin menu.
    Help Conquer Cancer!
    Donate your idle processor time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you for your reply. I haven't logged off yet as I'm in the middle of an install but I'll check to see if they have synchronised when I next log on. Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quick update:

I tried the solution suggested by kingcharles but to no avail. I therefore just ended up deleting the keyring altogether, which is not ideal but the only solution I could come across. I followed this solution by komputes:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4377271

Beans

I tried kingcharles1666 Suggestion and it worked for me.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I had a similar problem with Ubuntu 9.04 and did the following: I got rid of the keyring manager. (hey, it is my system and I can do with it what I like*
    Please note this will erase saved passwords you have so be sure you know or remember them before you make your computer forget them:
    Open up your Home Folder by clicking Places>Home Folder
    Press CTRL-H (or click View>Show Hidden Files)
    Find a folder called .gnome2 (it has a period at the beginning of the name) and open it by double clicking on it
    In side of the .gnome2 folder, there is another folder called keyrings.* Open it up.
    Delete any files you find within the keyrings folder
    Restart the computer
    After you restart and login (or if you’re automatically logging in) you’ll probably be asked to enter your wireless networks WPA/WEP encryption key.* After you type that password in, the keyring manager will appear to let you know that it would like to handle the storage of that password and lock it away with a new keyring password.*

Instead of typing in a new password, leave both boxes completely empty and click Create.
    You’ll then be asked if you know what the hell you’re doing:

Go ahead and click Use Unsafe Storage.
    WARNING: Doing this creates a new file in your ~/.gnome2/keyrings/ folder called default.keyring and it will now house passwords IN CLEAR TEXT and not in an encrypted form. *So it is imperative that you are certain no untrustworthy persons can access your user account (either physically or by remote) or they will be able to easily open and read this file and obtain many passwords (for things such as FTP accounts, SSH, e-mail accounts, etc). *Proceed with caution.
    From here on all keyring stored passwords you enter will not be safeguarded behind a master password or encryption.* Whether or not you want to do this is entirely up to you.* But you may have certain environmental factors that make having a master password over the rest of your passwords a good idea.* Keep in mind that the keyring password manager has absolutely nothing to do with your administrative/root privilages password that has to be entered any time you want to apply updates, or add/remove software.* You will still have to type your account password in for these actions.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by germanix View Post
    I had a similar problem with Ubuntu 9.04 and did the following: I got rid of the keyring manager. (hey, it is my system and I can do with it what I like*
    Please note this will erase saved passwords you have so be sure you know or remember them before you make your computer forget them:
    Open up your Home Folder by clicking Places>Home Folder
    Press CTRL-H (or click View>Show Hidden Files)
    Find a folder called .gnome2 (it has a period at the beginning of the name) and open it by double clicking on it
    In side of the .gnome2 folder, there is another folder called keyrings.* Open it up.
    Delete any files you find within the keyrings folder
    Restart the computer
    After you restart and login (or if you’re automatically logging in) you’ll probably be asked to enter your wireless networks WPA/WEP encryption key.* After you type that password in, the keyring manager will appear to let you know that it would like to handle the storage of that password and lock it away with a new keyring password.*

Instead of typing in a new password, leave both boxes completely empty and click Create.
    You’ll then be asked if you know what the hell you’re doing:

Go ahead and click Use Unsafe Storage.
    WARNING: Doing this creates a new file in your ~/.gnome2/keyrings/ folder called default.keyring and it will now house passwords IN CLEAR TEXT and not in an encrypted form. *So it is imperative that you are certain no untrustworthy persons can access your user account (either physically or by remote) or they will be able to easily open and read this file and obtain many passwords (for things such as FTP accounts, SSH, e-mail accounts, etc). *Proceed with caution.
    From here on all keyring stored passwords you enter will not be safeguarded behind a master password or encryption.* Whether or not you want to do this is entirely up to you.* But you may have certain environmental factors that make having a master password over the rest of your passwords a good idea.* Keep in mind that the keyring password manager has absolutely nothing to do with your administrative/root privilages password that has to be entered any time you want to apply updates, or add/remove software.* You will still have to type your account password in for these actions.
    This was basically what I did. Except two things. 1) You can simply delete the whole keyrings folder in gconf.2 2) There is no need to restart.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kingcharles1666 View Post

Select change password

This should sync the passwords and solve your problem. If you only want to synchronize then use the same password for old and new

You need to do this also if a user changes his/her login password in the "about me" option of the admin menu.
    Perfect! Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kingcharles1666 View Post

Select change password

Thanks
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced