Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Asus U43JC

Sweet. =^]

Beans

That's right, all of that acpi_call and config file stuff is no longer necessary for bumblebee 3.0. Howto updated accordingly.

Beans

Updated for 12.04. Fn+F9 (disabling/enabling touchpad) now works out of the box, as well as 3-fingered tapping (although advanced configuration still requires using the hook).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I believe hdmi out is working now. I connected my laptop to an HD display. What happened is it recognized I was connected to 2 displays (the built in one, and the one connected via hdmi). The resolution seemed to fit the external display perfectly, the quality was nice and crisp, and I could move windows from the built in display to the external one.

However my taskbar would only display on the built in screen. I don't know if that's how it's supposed to work, if it's a problem with the distro, or if it's because I'm running Cinnamon. Still, it works! =^]

Also, I didn't bother with the frequency scaling portion of the how-to since my output was >2400000. I just ran the test again and got 2534000. Would I still benefit from it?

Beans

Hey TheoJava,

Thanks for the HDMI info: I hadn't tested it so I didn't know if it worked or not.

Frequency scaling: you probably won't benefit from it. The problem happens when certain power-saving features of the BIOS are enabled using Windows-only tools.

Taskbar: I use Cinnamon too, and it's a feature. I don't think you can configure it to show on two monitors at once.

Beans

Re: [Howto] Asus U43JC

Fix Suspend

We have to unbind the USB buses manually before suspending. Create /etc/pm/sleep.d/20_custom-asus-u43jc:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

EHCI_BUSES="0000:00:1a.0 0000:00:1d.0"
    XHCI_BUSES="0000:04:00.0"

case "${1}" in
        hibernate|suspend)
            # Switch USB buses off
            for bus in $EHCI_BUSES; do
                echo -n $bus | tee /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd/unbind
            done
            for bus in $XHCI_BUSES; do
                echo -n $bus | tee /sys/bus/pci/drivers/xhci_hcd/unbind
            done
            ;;
        resume|thaw)
            # Switch USB buses back on
            for bus in $EHCI_BUSES; do
                echo -n $bus | tee /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd/bind
            done
            for bus in $XHCI_BUSES; do
                echo -n $bus | tee /sys/bus/pci/drivers/xhci_hcd/bind
            done
            ;;
    esac
    And make it executable:

Code:
    $ sudo chmod a+x /etc/pm/sleep.d/20_custom-asus-u43jc

* No WiDi out.[/QUOTE]
    I followed directions for Fix Suspend and suspend started working. But now on restart my fan runs full speed. It only resets to normal after a complete shutdown and restart from power off. How can I change this code to keep the fan from running full speed? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by jbarr; July 2nd, 2012 at 03:28 PM.

Beans

jbarr, I have never had this problem. Are you running an U43JC with Ubuntu 12.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Re: Asus U43JC

I've got my bamboo working thanks to this thread and happily so... however, five months in and my touchpad has become annoyingly erratic - I better say that I'm running linux mint 13 cinnamon 64-bit... based on precise, but mint forum has not been so helpful - hence requesting help from this quarter or half or whatever it is of the os.

I've followed a couple of leads, including the debian wiki http://wiki.debian.org/SynapticsTouchpad
    and made probably noob mistakes in the process... which have neither broken the machine nor fixed the problem...

subsequently following the advice at the beginning of this thread I added a folder to HOME/.config called touchpadconf in the absence of a HOME/bin...

probably silliness, for which forgive me, but going crazy trying to fix this... and no advice seems to fit the user case.

Please let me know if you have any insights, experience, recommendations to share.

Best,

Simon

Beans

Simon, you have to put touchpadconf somewhere in your $PATH, which is not the case with $HOME/.config. I suggest you create $HOME/bin/ and put it there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Re: Asus U43JC

thanks...

can you please explain how best to create the directory + file on the executable path?

I've tried adding by creating a new folder and changing permissions to make executable ... and ended up with a bin directory in my home /home/simon/bin

this can't be right. I deleted that...

jumping cursor makes it hard to write this.

I appreciate the help.

Best,

Simon

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast