Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus U43JC

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: [Howto] Asus U43JC

Quote Originally Posted by arbrandes View Post
    The fix is to add "processor.ignore_ppc=1" as a boot parameter to the kernel. To do so, edit /etc/grub/default and modify the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT parameter so it reads:
    Typo: It's /etc/default/grub.

@anjexe: mine works with SD cards.
    Last edited by rosencrantz; April 16th, 2011 at 03:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: [Howto] Asus U43JC

Quote Originally Posted by rosencrantz View Post
    Typo: It's /etc/default/grub.

@anjexe: mine works with SD cards.
    what to do for that?
    could u tell me
    asus n43jf
    what to do whit nvidia optimus?hope for solution

Beans
    Distro

Re: Asus U43JC

It works out of the box. Did you try different SD cards or testing the reader from an Ubuntu live CD?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

it test diferent cards but not tested whit live media,i will chek and tell u!

is there any soulutions?

could i dl the 11.04 beta and test it?and if it also have any problem tell them to fix it?
    asus n43jf
    what to do whit nvidia optimus?hope for solution

Beans

Any news on switchable graphics?

I've followed http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/ a bit. Seems they have a beginning of a solution for other laptops including other ASUS laptops that use the same graphics card...so I've been wondering if we could apply the solutions to our laptop too...

BTW, any change in the methodology of your post when applied to Ubuntu 11, Natty?

I also saw there was a new "experimental" driver in the Proprietary drivers page. It will be the default for Ubuntu once they get it to a stable version and will replace the closed-source Nvidia driver...does that experimental driver include graphics switching of some sort?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Beans

gravufo, I haven't fooled around with Natty yet. I will in the near future, I'm sure, and then I'll update the top post (or post a new thread).

Also haven't looked at the hybrid graphics blog in a while, but I certainly hope there are new developments!

About the experimental driver, it's probably the open-source nouveau with 3D stuff finally written in. Not sure, though, I'll know when I try it.

Beans
    Distro

@gravufo I've also followed the hybrid graphics blog - if I'm reading things right, hardware communication is rather different even with models from the same manufacturer, so I don't think the module will work. As the U43jc is pretty widespread and there are a few users on the mailinglist, I'm confident they will add it to the list as soon as they have a working solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by arbrandes View Post
    gravufo, I haven't fooled around with Natty yet. I will in the near future, I'm sure, and then I'll update the top post (or post a new thread).

Also haven't looked at the hybrid graphics blog in a while, but I certainly hope there are new developments!

About the experimental driver, it's probably the open-source nouveau with 3D stuff finally written in. Not sure, though, I'll know when I try it.
    There is a new switching method that relies on 3 calls to the ACPI: MXMX, MXDS and _DSM. The module is called asus-switcheroo and a bunch of Asus U/UL series laptops have the methods:

72 03 Asus.U30JC.DSDT.dsl { MXDS => 2 MXMX => 2 _DSM => 4 }
    73 03 Asus.U33JC.DSDT.dsl { MXDS => 1 MXMX => 1 _DSM => 1 }
    74 03 Asus.U35JC.DSDT.2.dsl { MXDS => 2 MXMX => 2 _DSM => 4 }
    75 03 Asus.U35JC.DSDT.dsl { MXDS => 2 MXMX => 2 _DSM => 4 }
    76 03 Asus.U36JC.DSDT.dsl { MXDS => 2 MXMX => 2 _DSM => 4 }

You can try it like this:

git clone git://github.com/awilliam/asus-switcheroo.git
    cd asus-switcheroo; make; modprobe -r nouveau; insmod ./asus-switcheroo.ko; modprobe nouveau

Beans
    Distro

I've started testing on Natty - the touchpad and hibernation workarounds are still applicable without changes. The rest is on my to-do list, if no one else has found time to upgrade yet.

Beans

Just upgraded to Natty. As rosencrantz reported, touchpad fixes still work. Haven't tested much of the rest, though (I'm still fighting Unity, lol).

However, I did take a look at asus-switcheroo, and unfortunately it seems it will not work with the U43JC in its current form. It needs two methods that I did could not find in my DSDT (MXMX and MXDS). I didn't actually try it, but chances are slim.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast