Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus U43JC

Beans

Re: Asus U43JC

Hey dsfitzpat, thanks for the info! It turns out the throttling went away when I changed the power saving settings on Windows. Will give that utility a try; it is somewhat vexing that there are BIOS settings that can only be configured from Windows. I hope this doesn't become a trend!

Beans

It would be interesting to know if the eee-control-applet works on the full-size Asus notebooks - especially since it seems to me like these are getting better all the time, and usually offer better specs and/or lower prices! I did a quick search and came across another program called Jupiter that claims to do the same thing, and has the advantage of coming from a PPA:
    http://www.webupd8.org/2010/06/jupit...sus-super.html

I'm not sure if Asus still calls this Super Hybrid Engine on their notebooks but the above site claims this tool works on any laptop, so maybe it's worth a try. Somewhere in the Asus Eee support forums they claim there's a version of Super Hybrid Engine for Linux; maybe they ported it to Xandros (the OS on the original Eees) but I haven't come across it.

Beans

I have jupiter installed on my U43JC, but AFAICT it does nothing. I hacked its scripts to have visual feedback when enabling/disabling the touchpad (see first post), but that's it.

Beans

Can you tell me how to go about patching the DSDT.dsl file?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

After executing the first code block in the OP's HowTo you should have a DSDT.dsl file. Copy the second block to a file dsdt.diff in the same directory and run patch < dsdt.diff

Beans

Tremendous work! Thanks for this great howto. Mostly everything worked just as described and brought my Asus to live under Ubuntu.

The only thing I noticed stopped working is a cd/dvd drive. It stopped mounting disks with the message:

Code:
    $ sudo mount /dev/cdrom /mnt
    mount: unknown filesystem type 'iso9660'
    It appeared that module isofs (as well as other cd/dvd fs support) was kicked out from my custom kernel. I figured out that the reason they were disabled was the following line in making new kernel configuration:

$ make localmodconfig
    I simply skipped this line and recompiled the kernel with modules from original Ubuntu's /boot/config-VER (adding DSDT of cause) and everything worked.

I suspect there might be other important modules kicked out by localmodconfig, I just did not notice by this time.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I also had trouble with the localmodconfig and used make oldconfig as directed in the HowTo. Takes longer to compile and gets you a few more GB of temp files, if I remember right, but is probably safer. You can also try to speed things up with make -j 4 (after all, we ought to be able to do hyperthreading)

Beans

Hey dudes,

23kota: I removed the "make localmodconfig" line from the howto, it really was causing more problems than solving them! Substitute it with 'yes "" | make oldconfig' for better results (but much longer compile times .

rosenkrantz: The -j4 thing is taken care of by this on the compilation line: "CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=`getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN`"

Beans

Just followed the tutorial and it was great! Very well done!
    Thanks so much, it felt way too weird too have a worst battery life on Linux than on Windows lol

I have a little question: my battery's "current state" is more in the 19000mW than in the 13000mW.

The first time I followed the tutorial (I've done it twice) and BEFORE I applied the patch to automatically disable the nvidia card, it went exactly around 13000mW. As soon as I applied the patch and reboot, it was back at 19 or so....

BTW, is it normal that we are using a G210m file whereas our card is actually a G310m?

Also, the "jupiter-support-eee" cannot be found through the given command...even the command that the actual site gives me is wrong, I guess the package has been removed...

Anyhow, thanks a lot for all the effort put into this, hopefully my battery life will be much better!

Beans

Hi gravufo!

What the g210m module does is simply run the acpi_call command automatically at boot (and at resume from suspend). If you're getting 19000 mW after rebooting, this could mean a couple of things:

1) The module isn't being loaded: run "lsmod | grep g210" and see if it's there. If it isn't, check your /etc/modules file and see if "nvidia_g210m_acpi" is at the end.

2) The kernel wasn't patched with a custom DSDT, which is required for the U43JC.

It doesn't matter if you have a g310m, by the way (which is what I have).

Will look into the jupiter-support-eee, thing. Maybe it was renamed?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast