Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly a real drone with Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

Fly a real drone with Ubuntu

I thought I would mention the most fun I've had playing on Ubuntu. A company that makes a Quad helicopter that sells for around $300 uses Ubuntu for much development. They offer an open source API that includes a flight control program so you can fly the drone using Ubuntu and a joystick or game controller. I already compiled the example control and it works great on my Ubuntu, it is so cool and fun!

A YouTube video showing Ubuntu/joystick compile and flight:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe6jbNdF35s

The API developer forum:
    https://projects.ardrone.org/

Beans

Re: Fly a real drone with Ubuntu

It would be good for chasing your dog with.

Looks like fun, thanks for the vid.

Beans

I don't get how it's supposed to be a game. How do I win?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Sockerdrickan View Post
    I don't get how it's supposed to be a game. How do I win?
    lol, victory is an illusion mate..

And nice video. Seems like its almost worth its prce..

Beans
    Hidden!

There are a number of multiplayer games in development and that is one main reason they made it an open source project. If you search youtube for "ardrone" will can see some games in development. I have personally noticed drone development in general is moving at a very face pace. You might check out http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-drone/usa/ar-games and here is a Wall Street Journal writeup about drones http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...273159086.html

Open source is a unique approach augmented reality gaming that makes development an exciting process. I have watched it enough to see it is moving at breakneck speed.

I bought one of the machines, flown it and it is worth the price now but I expect that price to drop like all new technology does. It is a blast to fly. The most popular way to fly is using an iPhone as the controller. That works great too but I already like the joystick on my ubuntu laptop better.

Update: I forgot to mention that in addition to controlling the drone with my Ubuntu linux, the drone itself is actually running linux! One can telnet into the drone system and poke around, make setting changes (though you might void the warranty) similar to iPhones, etc.
    Last edited by oregonbob; November 8th, 2010 at 01:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Wow! That really is cool. I'm definitely gonna look into getting one if the price drops a little bit. Have you tested about how long the range is for the wifi?
    ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO//AMD Athlon II X4 635 @ 3.6ghz//Crucial BallistiX 4GB @ 1700mhz//PNY Quadro NVS 290//RAID 0/5
    If you want stuff done right, do it yourself.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That looks like a total blast!

Thanks oregonbob.
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cj.surrusco View Post
    Wow! That really is cool. I'm definitely gonna look into getting one if the price drops a little bit. Have you tested about how long the range is for the wifi?
    Yes I've tested it some. It looks like wifi has a short range at least with my iPhone as controller. 200ft away is about all you'll get. I haven't range-tested using my ubuntu laptop yet. I think it will get a little better range. It is a lot of fun though. I heard they are about to release a new enhanced-reality game any day now.

Here is an 11 minute video I made a few days ago flying with a joystick and ubuntu laptop. Warning: it is boring but you can see how maneuverable it is about 3-4 minute mark. Its like having your video game spaceship jump off the screen and fly across the room.
    Last edited by oregonbob; November 12th, 2010 at 09:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

That is awesome!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Awesome video, thanks for sharing this. Didn't know this came out yet. Where do you buy it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast