Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to start with Linux?

Beans

Where to start with Linux?

I have an older laptop on which I would like to try something different. I know nothing about Linux at all. The computer is running Windows XP at present. I want to use it mostly for surfing the web, e-mail. I don't download music, movies etc. I create and maintain folders related to my hobbies and also do a fair bit of photography. The most important requirement is the ability to run wireless broadband (ZTE MF633BP+ ) as it is my main means of communication whilst on the road with our caravan. I also used Skype.
    I don't have a clue where to start. I want something that is easy to use and fairly basic. Really appreciate any help.
    Last edited by uRock; November 6th, 2010 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Returned font to default.

Beans

Re: Where to start with Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by tenggiri1 View Post
    I have an older laptop on which I would like to try something different. I know nothing about Linux at all. The computer is running Windows XP at present. I want to use it mostly for surfing the web, e-mail. I don't download music, movies etc. I create and maintain folders related to my hobbies and also do a fair bit of photography. The most important requirement is the ability to run wireless broadband (ZTE MF633BP+ ) as it is my main means of communication whilst on the road with our caravan. I also used Skype.
    I don't have a clue where to start. I want something that is easy to use and fairly basic. Really appreciate any help.
    Try the live CD. You can run your laptop from the CD drive as if it is a Ubuntu machine. It's going to be slow because it has to read from that slow drive, so whatever you do with it imagine it happening almost instantly.

It will be strange at first, but this forum has some really great people who will be eager to help you out.

Have fun!
    Last edited by CharlesA; November 6th, 2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: fixed font size.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by holiday View Post
    Try the live CD. You can run your laptop from the CD drive as if it is a Ubuntu machine. It's going to be slow because it has to read from that slow drive, so whatever you do with it imagine it happening almost instantly.

It will be strange at first, but this forum has some really great people who will be eager to help you out.

Have fun!
    Also if you like you can use a liveusb (a bit quicker) to try ubuntu
    http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
    Perseverance will succeed (usually)
    ubuntu user -32597 - linux user - 526569
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans

Thanks for the reply. Do I need to load anything else along with Ubuntu? Does it include software such as connection manager, photo processing etc. etc? I was looking at Mint, Fedora , Ultimate Edition etc. but am still in the dark. Will these include software along the lines of Windows. As you can see I really am NEW to this.
    Last edited by CharlesA; November 6th, 2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: fixed font size.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

you should have everything you need initially to get going...you might find that you need drivers for stuf (but it's usually fine) and you might find lots of packages you want to install - for free. but it should work 'out of the box'
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans
    Hidden!

yep.it does. and if you need anything else, just search the software center

see : http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/features

Beans

Hey
    you can download ubuntu at : http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
    or the netbook edition [I am using that] at : http://www.ubuntu.com/netbook/get-ubuntu/download

Ubuntu is a good operating system, I just started using it a week ago and so far its good.
    Out of your requirements, i think ubuntu will fullfill all of them, but I am not sure what tools it has for photographers
    I use skype on ubuntu so i know it works
    Most of the stuff will be easy to open/run but for some stuff you have to go to terminal and learn a bit of linux lingo.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

tools it has for photographers
    there is loads of software available for this, but if you prefer photoshop, there are many options.

install wine and use it in there
    install a virtual machine running windows
    dual boot with windows

you can cross those bridges when/if you come to them
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

My 4 year old laptop with 1 gig ram runs "Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10" just fine. You should be ok to start with that. You can get it HERE. If you have a 32 bit machine or you are unsure choose this one: PC (Intel x86) desktop CD

If your machine is newer than say a couple years, you could probably handle 10.04 or even the newest 10.10 Mine couldn't !

Plus there is always "netbook remix edition!"

Burn to a cd on slowest speed possible. Insert cd, reboot and install.
    I'm sure you'll get other replies here. Mine is but a suggestion. There are tons of helpful people here who are always willing to help out! Good luck.

UPDATE:
    WOW, this moved along quickly while I was typing! See what I mean?
    Last edited by bigsmitty64; November 6th, 2010 at 09:08 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bigsmitty64 View Post
    My 4 year old laptop with 1 gig ram runs "Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10" just fine. You should be ok to start with that. You can get it HERE. If you have a 32 bit machine or you are unsure choose this one: PC (Intel x86) desktop CD

If your machine is newer than say a couple years, you could probably handle 10.04 or even the newest 10.10 Mine couldn't !
    My machine is lower spec than that, and I'm using 10.04. After tweaking and customizing, I can barely tell the difference between Karmic and Lucid.
    HP Compaq Evo N610c, P4M 2.8gHz, 768mb, ATI Radeon m7500
    Mint XFCE, Mint Isadora Fluxbox, #! Statler/CompizWM, Mint Katya, Windows XP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast