Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10.10 shut down when laptop charger removed... NOT hardware related...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation 10.10 shut down when laptop charger removed... NOT hardware related...

Hi,

I have an old lap top thats in good nick and I installed 10.10 on it. I had only used 10.9 before on my other old and rubbish acer.

On 10.10 I have a problem where when I unplug the charger the computer boots down instantly. However, unlike all the treads I have seen, my computer can be re-started and run off battery for hours with no problem. I have mentioned this just now on the hardware thread but I don't see how its a hardware problem so I thought I should put it here.

I also have a problem with the wireless/Internet becoming disabled after it goes to sleep. Only way to solve it is to restart it.

Maybe they are related.

I have checked the options in my inexpert way but have found no command to provoke such behavior.

I'm sorry guys but I think this is a soft, not hard ware issue as had been assumed.

Has anyone tried re-booting when their "battery dies" after charger removed? Is this just me? Or a bigger problem?

Anyone fancy fixing this? Its annoying cause the thing shuts down if I unplug by accident, if I am working in bed etc.

Have a guy from the Manchester Free software group coming round tomorrow so I can ask him to help me find out more if you reply quick enough : )

Love, peace and tofu

Anna

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: 10.10 shut down when laptop charger removed... NOT hardware related...

This is from the old sticky regarding Lucid Lynx but it may be worth you giving it a try

Ubuntu shuts down after unplugging Laptop power cord
    A problem known with MSI wind and some Vostro users.

Current workaround is to open gconf-editor and browse to:
    Code:

/apps/gnome-power-manager/general

And de-select the option use_time_for_policy

There is no need to restart, just close the configuration editor.

I also think I saw the same problem somewhere else on here too. Try the search perhaps.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    This is from the old sticky regarding Lucid Lynx but it may be worth you giving it a try

Ubuntu shuts down after unplugging Laptop power cord
    A problem known with MSI wind and some Vostro users.

Code:

And de-select the option use_time_for_policy

There is no need to restart, just close the configuration editor.

I also think I saw the same problem somewhere else on here too. Try the search perhaps.
    hi, i tried putting that in terminal, but no file recognised or something. Did I do it right? Can you talk me though it more slowly please, i am quite new to this stuff : )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

hi, it just did it again and as it shuts down when the screen is black it says something about
    network manager process killed by KILL signal

its only on for a few seconds

does this make sense?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

also, I have discovered that this shut-down only happens when you remove the charger at the laptop end. If you unplug it at the socket end , it does not boot down.... how bizarre!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by say.hello.to.anna View Post
    Hi,

I have an old lap top thats in good nick and I installed 10.10 on it. I had only used 10.9 before on my other old and rubbish acer.

On 10.10 I have a problem where when I unplug the charger the computer boots down instantly. However, unlike all the treads I have seen, my computer can be re-started and run off battery for hours with no problem. I have mentioned this just now on the hardware thread but I don't see how its a hardware problem so I thought I should put it here.

I also have a problem with the wireless/Internet becoming disabled after it goes to sleep. Only way to solve it is to restart it.

Maybe they are related.

I have checked the options in my inexpert way but have found no command to provoke such behavior.

I'm sorry guys but I think this is a soft, not hard ware issue as had been assumed.

Has anyone tried re-booting when their "battery dies" after charger removed? Is this just me? Or a bigger problem?

Anyone fancy fixing this? Its annoying cause the thing shuts down if I unplug by accident, if I am working in bed etc.

Have a guy from the Manchester Free software group coming round tomorrow so I can ask him to help me find out more if you reply quick enough : )

Love, peace and tofu

Anna
    Maybe you could add to this bug. Also change the status to confirmed would help.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/661196

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Maybe you could add to this bug. Also change the status to confirmed would help.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/661196
    Hi, I am having problems signing into launchpad (gone back weeks, don't know why, wont let me sign in, change password etc etc.) but even if I could get in I am not sure about how to report a bug.

The laptop now only does this intermittently when you remove the charger at the machine end, and never if you remove it at the mains end. Don't know if the bug was somehow fixed? Maybe it has stopped completely - I will keep fiddling and see.

In the mean time, could you report the bug?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have encountered the same problem after upgrading 2 different laptops to 10.10.

It only shuts down when the charger is unplugged from the laptop, not when it is unplugged from the wall.

Also, when running on battery power from an Toshiba nb205, the power shuts off it the screen angle is changed, odd.

Makes of laptops:

Toshiba nb205
    HP Pavilion

Beans

I had similar problem with three ubuntu 10.04 laptops shutting down when charger removed despite them having fully charged batteries.

To solve it i clicked the battery icon in the top bar and then <preferences> which brought up the tick box options in power management ,in both "on battery" and "on mains" options FOR "when lid is closed" I chose <blank screen>

Afterwards when the charger/s were removed the screen went blank but could be restored with a simple mouse pad left click.

Some ubuntu users also have problem with laptops randomly switching off, it could be related to a loose charger plug producing the problem of intermitent switch off outlined in the post ,solution as above.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Code:

I modified the value from "shutdown" to "nothing" and it did the trick.
    Quackers, many thanks for the help...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast