Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD HD 6850 drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

AMD HD 6850 drivers

I am looking for two new graphic cards that will be quite good for the next few years without having driver problems and such.

I am not sure what the status of the AMD and Nivida drivers are. The ones I've settled down on are AMD HD 6850 and GeForce GTX 460, but discouraged by my personal experience with them few years ago. I dont see any drivers for the AMD HD 6850 on their website but I do see the nvidia card drivers on their site... but it's both more expensive and not as powerful as the AMD one.

Drivers matter a lot when it comes to graphics and a good card with a lacking driver can be worse than a mediocre card with proper drivers.

Not sure what to do

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: AMD HD 6850 drivers

When we talk about tech stuff, the "latest thing" is not existing... everything is and/or will be obsolete in a bunch of months.
    you should look more for something that satisfy your need, and if the step (in comparision with what you already have) worth the $$$ spend.

My advice is to wait and see: you already have a firm choice (AMD HD 6850) then only thing you want is proper driver. When driver for linux come, wait for user's experiences (if they are worthy) and buy it.

Avoid the "wishful thinkings" in buy "hoping" that the driver will come.. eventually your money wouldn't come back.
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans

But 6850 got a driver?
    Install the latest Ubuntu along with the latest bleeding driver that AMD provided, and it is supported.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by del_diablo View Post
    But 6850 got a driver?
    Install the latest Ubuntu along with the latest bleeding driver that AMD provided, and it is supported.
    Where can I find the driver?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

the HD 6xxx series still hadn't proprietary linux driver. (5 november 2010)
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Not experienced with opensource's one, but don't expect performance with them
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

there probably arent any proprietary drivers out for ATI 6850 atm, but i think the open source drivers will give it 2d support. since you are looking at powerful cards, i am assuming you will be doing gaming in windows? if thats the case, i would go with ati (cause its cheaper) and just not use compositing in linux until the proprietary drivers are released from amd, which will probably be sometime this month. although the support wont be great in the beginning, it will only get better. right now im running an ati 5850 and other 5000 series since spring with no problems at all, so id imagine the 6000 series will have support real soon.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bölvağur View Post
    Where can I find the driver?
    What version of the Windows driver is needed if you ran Windows?
    Use the same driver version, or higher.
    And BTW: Ubuntu restriced drivers much?

Beans
    Hidden!

What version of the Windows driver is needed if you ran Windows?
    Use the same driver version, or higher.
    No. One thing to note, is that your model, needs to be on the release notes (under Desktop Family.)

Sadly, any 6xxx series is not listed, in fact, when you go to the ATI main page, and select Radeon HS, and select 6xxx series, Linux is not selectable at all, which means, you guessed it, it doesn't work properly.

----

As for restricted drivers, if the open source (fglrx) doesn't support Radeon HD 6xxx, then you will just have 2D Effects.

Beans

The newest Ubuntu ALWAYS runs beta drivers shipped from ATI.....
    Do i have to repeat myself?

Beans

The newest Ubuntu ALWAYS runs beta drivers shipped from ATI.....
    Do i have to repeat myself?
    I dont' care how many times you say it, there are currently no drivers for Linux for the AMD 6800 series.

I have the HD 6850. It works fine for 2D. You try to enable the "restricted drivers" and the system locks up on reboot.

So, you can say it as much as you like, but as of today, there are NO 3D drivers for the AMD 6800 series.

However, this may change any day now. (hoping)

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast