Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD HD 6850 drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: AMD HD 6850 drivers

Quote Originally Posted by olof_ View Post
    yes and no, I am using one 6850 and one 4850, with two monitors attached to each gpu. What is your hardware specs?
    Nice setup! I have a single 6870 with 24" Dell U2410 and normal videos play excellently full screen, including 1080p.. just flash is completely broken.

Have you tried putting the flash on each of your GPU's?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by mrintegrity View Post
    Nice setup! I have a single 6870 with 24" Dell U2410 and normal videos play excellently full screen, including 1080p.. just flash is completely broken.

Have you tried putting the flash on each of your GPU's?
    how should I do that, I am using Xinerama.
    Maybe you should give Gnash or Swfdec a try?

Beans
    Distro

I have not used gnash etc yet, they are not really feature complete enough for me to not care about fixing this issue with proprietary flash.

Interestingly, the issue seems to dissapere when i "pop out" the youtube flash video into it's own window, I can then resize the window to whatever I want (bigger than full screen) and it playes pretty much OK (720p or lower). The issue only happens when it's embedded in the main firefox window.. I will try to make a video to show the issue and upload it.

/mr

EDIT: This is fixed now . The issue was actually compiz and enabling "workarounds > legacy fullscreen support" in compizconfig-settings-manager fixed it perfectly!

Thanks for your help though olof_!
    Last edited by mrintegrity; January 6th, 2011 at 11:11 PM.

Beans

I'm following the cchtml tutorial to get my Radeon 6850 working, and I'm stuck on generating the new xorg.conf file. When I enter the command:

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

I get this:

mv: cannot stat `/etc/X11/xorg.conf': No such file or directory

Any thoughts? Do I need to manually create a config in the X11 folder? There is a xorg.conf.failsafe I'm guessing this was the backup I created? I dunno, I'm stumped

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Flipflops4life View Post
    I'm following the cchtml tutorial to get my Radeon 6850 working, and I'm stuck on generating the new xorg.conf file. When I enter the command:

I get this:

Any thoughts? Do I need to manually create a config in the X11 folder? There is a xorg.conf.failsafe I'm guessing this was the backup I created? I dunno, I'm stumped
    Ubuntu generally does not create an xorg.conf file anymore. This message is just telling you that the file does not exist so you can ignore that step in the instructions.. Instead you just need to create the file manually.

/mr

Beans
    Distro

I get this:

copied from the cchtml wiki:
    Before you do this, back up your current xorg.conf if you have one (Ubuntu Lucid/10.04 and later does not have an xorg.conf by default)

Beans

THANK YOU!

That is IT!
    THANK YOU so much!

edit: I am using Ubuntu 10.10 x64.
    You're welcome!

I'd like to add that executing that script on startup isn't really necessary. Just do it everytime the module gets updated (driver updates and kernel updates?). Of course it doesn't hurt at boot either, but it takes a few seconds at least on my system.

Quote Originally Posted by mrintegrity View Post
    Can someone else who has this driver working please confirm if flash videos are unwatchable and nearly lock up the system on youtube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zvCUmeoHpw

That's a 720p example but it also happens with SD content try changing that video to lowest res, same problem in full screen - wth!?
    I can't confirm that with a 6850 using Flash 10.1 r102. Just like the olof I have roughly 80% CPU in FS, but everything is smooth and no lockups.
    Last edited by jniklast; January 6th, 2011 at 11:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jniklast View Post

I'd like to add that executing that script on startup isn't really necessary. Just do it everytime the module gets updated (driver updates and kernel updates?). Of course it doesn't hurt at boot either, but it takes a few seconds at least on my system.
    thank you for the information. I feel like I can wait that additional second just to never have to see the watermark again. (I have had it there for more than a month now!)
    Last edited by olof_; January 6th, 2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

@ Olof_ Oooook got it. I read the disclaimer as "10.14 and later" - I've been working on this so long I'm beginning to see imaginary numbers.

I'd like to say I've made progress but it seems I've worked myself into more trouble. At first, I rebooted after installing all the packages/debs whatnot and went to test the installation with the "fglrxinfo" command. It came back as "command not found"

I did some poking around and found fglrx and the rest of the downloaded package and they are installed according to software manager.... then comes my newest issue. I was poking around some more - I can't remember exactly what I was doing - but I think I went into >Additional Drivers where I found ATI/AMD: FGLRX or something to that effect and it was not active. Since activating the driver and rebooting I am unable to boot back into my GUI.

First - I have to get back into my GUI - how?
    Second - assuming I don't have to restart the entire Catalyst installation process what is my next step considering fglrxinfo returns no results?

Thanks for the continued help folks

Beans

thank you for the information. I feel like I can wait that additional second just to never have to see the watermark again. (I have had it there for more than a month now!)
    Wow I feel bad for you, glad that I could help you. I was already getting mad at it even though I just got my video card today and had to bear it for only half an hour or so.

@ Olof_ Oooook got it. I read the disclaimer as "10.14 and later" - I've been working on this so long I'm beginning to see imaginary numbers.

I'd like to say I've made progress but it seems I've worked myself into more trouble. At first, I rebooted after installing all the packages/debs whatnot and went to test the installation with the "fglrxinfo" command. It came back as "command not found"

I did some poking around and found fglrx and the rest of the downloaded package and they are installed according to software manager.... then comes my newest issue. I was poking around some more - I can't remember exactly what I was doing - but I think I went into >Additional Drivers where I found ATI/AMD: FGLRX or something to that effect and it was not active. Since activating the driver and rebooting I am unable to boot back into my GUI.

First - I have to get back into my GUI - how?
    Second - assuming I don't have to restart the entire Catalyst installation process what is my next step considering fglrxinfo returns no results?

Thanks for the continued help folks
    Well, I guess I used a rather opportunistic approach, but it worked pretty fast for me:

After installing the video card itself I couldn't start X anymore, so I chose recovery mode at boot and chose the root shell. There I simply started X by starting kdm (I'm on Kubuntu, probably simply gdm for ubuntu) adn I was greeted by a dialog saying that my graphic card isn't working as expected (surprise, surprise). I then chose the standard settings that the dialog was offering me, rebooted, and I was able to start X with the vesa drivers. There I first installed fglrx via the additional drivers dialog. Of course those were the old catalyst drivers, so I manually downloaded the newest and installed those. That got everything working except for the watermark, but I removed that with the script like I said.

I don't know if this helps you at all, but I would recommend you to use the recovery mode boot option when you can't start X anymore anyway.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast