Thread: Minecraft control issues

Beans

Question Minecraft control issues

Hello !

Today I've bought Minecraft in hopes of playing it.
    The game executes fine in Java 6 Runtime and the world loads.
    I can control my character via mice (look around, mine), but the keyboard doesn't respond at all (except Alt+F4 which closes the game), I cannot walk, cannot open the inventory cannot play.

Code:
    maximb@MaximB-HQ:~/Games$ java -Xmx1024M -Xms512M -cp Minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame
    Username is 'MaximB'
    Setting user: MaximB, -4215292293656596749
    Loading: net.java.games.input.LinuxEnvironmentPlugin
    Failed to open device (/dev/input/event5): Failed to open device /dev/input/event5 (13)

Failed to open device (/dev/input/event4): Failed to open device /dev/input/event4 (13)

Failed to open device (/dev/input/event3): Failed to open device /dev/input/event3 (13)

Failed to open device (/dev/input/event2): Failed to open device /dev/input/event2 (13)

Failed to open device (/dev/input/event1): Failed to open device /dev/input/event1 (13)

Failed to open device (/dev/input/event0): Failed to open device /dev/input/event0 (13)

Linux plugin claims to have found 0 controllers

Starting up SoundSystem...
    Initializing LWJGL OpenAL
        (The LWJGL binding of OpenAL.  For more information, see http://www.lwjgl.org)
    OpenAL initialized.

Player is null
    Player is null
    Player is now null
    Loading texture http://www.minecraft.net/skin/MaximB.png
    Player count: 1
    AL lib: ALc.c:1352: exit(): closing 1 Device
    AL lib: ALc.c:1329: alcCloseDevice(): destroying 1 Context
    AL lib: alSource.c:2361: alcDestroyContext(): deleting 32 Source(s)
    AL lib: alBuffer.c:1081: exit(): deleting 1 Buffer(s)
    Please help me solve this issue.

Beans

Re: Minecraft control issues

I've made some progress but the keyboard still won't work.
    I've run this command to get rid of the permission problems :

Code:
    sudo chmod go=u /dev/input/event*
    And according to this thread : http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewto...p?f=17&t=18453 the user says : "Problem solved. The culprit was iBus. Quitting it did the trick." but I have none of those processes or files/devices at /dev/input/ or anywhere else.

I hear if you run the game as super user, it works - but that's not a good solution.

Beans

I've just tried the fix in that thread you linked too and I've tried as root and still no keyboard input

Beans

I've got it to work. Seems to be an issue with ibus controlling the keyboard.

After fixing the permissions issue I went to System > Adminstration > Language Support
    At the bottom of the window change Keyboard Input Method to NONE. Close then logout and back in.
    Keyboard worked for me then in Minecraft

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by UncoElite View Post
    I've just tried the fix in that thread you linked too and I've tried as root and still no keyboard input
    Running the game with 'sudo' actually fixes this issue for me, but that's just a temporary solution.

Beans

Yeah, it's ibus, which sucks because I actually use it sometimes.

It's hardly elegant, but I've found a `killall ibus-daemon` before playing Minecraft will work - probably have to log in again to get it back, oh well.

I do find it a little annoying that Minecraft grabs *all* keyboard input, even WM keys like Alt-tab or Super-tab (unless Esc is pressed, it seems). Most games seem to get by fine without grabbing *everything*.

Beans

write a script that kills ibus, launches minecraft and then restarts it again when the program closes.
    Last edited by donkyhotay; December 30th, 2010 at 03:15 PM.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans

I too use ibus regularly; however, I found that this little gem does the trick:
    Code:
    sudo -u doug Minecraft/minecraft
    Essentially, run Minecraft with sudo as yourself.

Of course, "doug" is my linux username and "Minecraft/minecraft" is the path to my Minecraft launch script.

Doing this apprently gets around the problem because a "different" user is now running the application, whereas my "normal" user is the one with the troublesome ibus configuration.

Beans

Wink Re: Minecraft control issues

Heres the one true fix for the iBus and Minecraft conflict. READY.

Your lwjgl/Lightweight Java Game Libary is outdated (for linux at least). Apparently the developers of LWJGL have already fixed the iBus conflict with an updated library but apparently since not so many people use iBus (ie. I use it for Japanese input) Mojang has neglected to update the library that is shipped with minecraft.

You can update the libraries manually by downloading them from http://lwjgl.org (Be sure to download the binary package). As of writing this reply the latest version is 2.8.3 which worked for me on Minecraft 1.1 and 1.2.

Here are some simple steps:
    1. Download & Open
    2. extract the files "jar/lwjgl.jar, jar/lwjgl_util.jar and jar/jinput.jar" to "~/.minecraft/bin" (Backups Recommended)
    3. extract the files "native/linux/*" to "~/.minecraft/bin/natives" (Backups Recommended)

Interesting fix. Before I had this iBus issue, I also was getting a nasty sticky key issue but this update also fixed that. Typical, it started with Atmosphir and now Minecraft, not taking care of their loyal Linux users. Atmosphir was built with Linux users in mine and now they no longer even offer a linux build. Soooo annoying.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poszest16 View Post
    Heres the one true fix for the iBus and Minecraft conflict. READY.

Your lwjgl/Lightweight Java Game Libary is outdated (for linux at least). Apparently the developers of LWJGL have already fixed the iBus conflict with an updated library but apparently since not so many people use iBus (ie. I use it for Japanese input) Mojang has neglected to update the library that is shipped with minecraft.

You can update the libraries manually by downloading them from http://lwjgl.org (Be sure to download the binary package). As of writing this reply the latest version is 2.8.3 which worked for me on Minecraft 1.1 and 1.2.

Here are some simple steps:
    1. Download & Open
    2. extract the files "jar/lwjgl.jar, jar/lwjgl_util.jar and jar/jinput.jar" to "~/.minecraft/bin" (Backups Recommended)
    3. extract the files "native/linux/*" to "~/.minecraft/bin/natives" (Backups Recommended)

Interesting fix. Before I had this iBus issue, I also was getting a nasty sticky key issue but this update also fixed that. Typical, it started with Atmosphir and now Minecraft, not taking care of their loyal Linux users. Atmosphir was built with Linux users in mine and now they no longer even offer a linux build. Soooo annoying.
    brilliant ,it works