Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Network Manager

Beans

Network Manager

Hey everybody, I've just upgraded to the newest version of ubuntu. The reason was I was having multiple issues, but the main thing that got me to switch was that I wasn't able to locate the network manager. I accidentally removed the appllet and uninstalled it with the notion that I was going to be able to reinstall it without an internet connection (stupid).

BUT ANYWAY. So I got everything set up nice and neat on my new system. I was even able to connect to the internet and download all my updates and reorganize my bookmarks and addons on firefox through the network manager appllet! Once I did a manadatory restart, though, I once again can't find it. I've stayed up all night to do all this, and I can honestly say this is my worst stupid moment yet (I mean, I'm usuing a windows box to write this message for god's sake). Please help. And also I've looked around for the network manager program with no success in locating it. I used to be more technologically inclined, but ubuntu spoiled me.

Thanks in advance...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Network Manager

It's not in System -> Preferences?
    Perseverance will succeed (usually)
    ubuntu user -32597 - linux user - 526569
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans

Well I checked that just now and in system>Preferences>startup Applications I found it but I'm not sure how to activate it. The ubuntu help and guidelines sometimes seem a little opaque

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

The Network Manager applet is attached to the Notification Area applet which is, itself, easy to miss. The notification area is just three tiny horizontal lines on the panel. If you're using the default dark ambiance theme you need good eyes and a magnifying glass.

Make sure you have notification area on the panel. If not, add it. (Right-click on panel > Add to panel).

If the Network manager still doesn't appear, have a look in System > Preferences > Startup Applications. Is it listed under the Startup Programs tab? Is it ticked? If no to both, this is what you need to add it:

Name: Network Manager

Command: nm-applet --sm-disable

Comment (optional): Control your network connections
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

I did just that but when i went to use it, the error message "Failed to execute child process nm-applet (no such file or directory)"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by BSMD1 View Post
    I did just that but when i went to use it, the error message "Failed to execute child process nm-applet (no such file or directory)"
    That sounds as though it *may* be a missing or corrupted executable belonging to network manager. It's strange that it should happen after an ordinary update on a new system, but whatever. Since you won't have working networking you can't reinstall with freshly downloaded packages, so I suggest this. It assumes you are using 10.10/Maverick. If you are using 10.04/Lucid post back before trying this.

Boot into another system. It can be Windows - it doesn't matter what the OS is. Download these two packages if you are running a 32-bit system:

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...untu2_i386.deb
    http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...untu3_i386.deb

Or these two if a 64-bit system:

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...ntu2_amd64.deb
    http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...ntu3_amd64.deb

Transfer the two files to your Ubuntu system however you want - probably with a USB stick - and then simply install them by double-clicking on each in turn. Now reboot and see if the network-manager applet appears in your panel
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Sorry for the long wait, I had to get some sleep (like I said I was up all night)
    I tried to install the files, but another ubuntu error popped up saying I need proper installation files. So I did as it said and installed two files I needed. But now for one it said "error dependency is not satisfiable: libgconf2-4" and the same error message for the next one but instead saying I needed libnm-util1. Here's the kicker, I obtained both of those files as well, but it said those versions were already installed!

crap...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Yes, there are masses of dependencies for network manager, and if one of those is corrupted then it will be like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Question: you say this was a fresh install which went wrong after a routine update? Am I correct? I haven't had any problem with network manager after any update with either Lucid or Maverick. And nor have most people judging by the lack of such threads. Which makes me wonder if your original install medium was faulty. It only needs one damaged file somewhere to cause weird and unpredictable problems.

Did you check the md5sum of the ISO download you used, and did you burn the CD at a low speed?

Beans

The installation went off without a hitch, and I burned the image at average speed. But I had the same problem with my previous version of ubuntu. I thought everything would've been fine, seeing that I was actually able to use the network manager prior to restarting the system to finalize the updates. Should I go ahead and reinstall? Or would that be putting a band-aid over cancer?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by BSMD1 View Post
    But I had the same problem with my previous version of ubuntu.
    That's very unlucky. Perhaps you could clarify a few things first. Your previous version of Ubuntu, was it installed from the same downloaded ISO, or do you mean it was a previous release of Ubuntu? In short, which version were you running before and which version now, and if they were different, did you do a version upgrade?

If you did do both installs from the same ISO, it is just possible that the ISO was corrupted. Not enough to prevent it from working, but enough to cause it to write a bad file somewhere in the system which only manifested after a routine update. Hence the importance of always checking the md5 hash sum for every ISO you download. That's even before you burn it to disc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast