Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2

Woah, that's great. All the stuff I was wondering about lately. Could not figure out why Ubuntu gave no boot options any more. Thanks. You also helped because I am running Ub10.10 on a new Dell-Intelchipset laptop, runs great, only needed a wireless fix. But now trying to get it to run also via Persistent 8GB USB on my 2006 hp desktop, with its nVIDIA chipset, and offline. Walls everywhere on that effort. I can't tell you how many times I reinstalled it on the USB.
    things to do lists
    ... sudo nvidia-xconfig....pray a lot. Then throw it in my home desktop machine. Then add all my laptop's deb packages to the offline hp. I'll be surprised if it works! I can always use Mandriva on the hp though, it comes with working nVIDIA drivers. But I'd rather stick to one distro. My brain might spill open if I try to put too much Linux in it ....too late, goodnight.

UPDATE:it didn't work.
    Last edited by Mike_tn; November 24th, 2010 at 02:03 AM.

Beans

How to temporarily set kernel boot options on an installed OS (not wubi)

To set kernel boot options, you must edit your grub configuration. You can do this temporarily for a single boot by entering the grub menu. If you do not get to see the grub boot menu after the bios automatically, you may have to press SHIFT key after the bios logo to get in to grub:

Select the default ubuntu kernel (usually the top one), and rather than pressing enter, press E to edit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a duel boot machine (Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows XP) DELL Precision M4400. Yesterday I updated my linux system and after that the screen goes blank after the grub menu if I choose to boot my linux. I see two options: Linux and Windows in the grub menu but when I highlight the Linux option and press "E" nothing happens. I booted my computer with a live cd of Ubuntu and then changed the etc/default/grub file of the already installed ubuntu OS. I have two questions now:

1. Why did the "E" key did not work ?
    2. How can I run grub update of the already installed system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by adilrasheedonline View Post
    [SIZE=4]...I have two questions now:

1. Why did the "E" key did not work ?
    2. How can I run grub update of the already installed system.
    It sounds like you are describing the Windows Boot Manager, not GRUB - in which case you cannot edit the entry and it wouldn't help anyway (you can confirm this by looking at the top of the screen - it will say Windows Boot Manager or similar). Which means you installed with Wubi... and there is a grub update out on 10.04 that is breaking wubi installs. Look at my comment here: https://answers.launchpad.net/wubi/+question/135755

If you need more help I suggest you create a new thread as it doesn't relate to this one.

Beans

For those who might be interested, here's my scenario:
    Dell Inspiron 17R, Ubuntu 10.04, would not shut down (hang) nore go into suspend (just did not do anything)

Started adding stuff to /etc/default/grub and hereis what I got:

nomodeset -> bombed and X would not start anymore. Had to remove it.

acpi=off -> shutdown ok (fixed) but no sleep options anywhere. Almost there.

acpi_osi=\"Linux\" -> perfect, everything works

Thanks to the original poster
    rmcb

Beans

hint worked for me, thanks

I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 Kernel 2.6.35-25 on Lenovo Thinkpad SL300. The System failed at suspend to ram forcing me to do a cold start. Syslog said "ACPI: BIOS _OSI(Linux) query ignored" before freezing.
    I added acpi_osi=\"Linux\" to the boot options as described above and now it's working perfectly. Syslog says "ACPI: BIOS _OSI(Linux) query honored via cmdline" now

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by mackiecc; February 11th, 2011 at 07:47 PM. Reason: added changed syslog output

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks so much, just what I needed to be explained

This was the last piece of info that I needed to get grub2 in Ubuntu 10.04 configured with nomodeset so I could get my Geforce 8400GS working.

Thanks so much
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans

after much angst #8 solved the problem for a dual gpu 4870X2 card as well. thanks!

Beans

Hi,

The best workaround for solving backlight ISSUE was for me:

Autorun "setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=00" each boot.

Steps:
    1) edit rc.local

Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/rc.local
    2) Add the command before EXIT 0

Code:
    setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B-0
    3) Restart.

You should now be able to boot in UNITY where nomodeset was unable.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you don't mind, I referenced this thread from this sticky:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535

I think they go together hand-in-hand.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Hello,

I have an old HP Vectra VL420 with 1.5GB memory and ATI Rage graphics card.

I can't upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10 or install 11.04 from CD.

The restart, for 10.10, after installation hangs with a black screen and for 11.04 the installations hangs with a black screen after displaying the word "UBUNTU" with moving dots below it.

I have tried interrupting the boot process and when I press the function keys the choices are displayed, like noapic, nolapic when I press F6. But none of them has really helped me to boot the system.
    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

===================

Since I posted the above, I haven't received any suggestions. But since I managed to solve my problem, I thought it is worth adding the following for the benefit of any with the same problem to try.

I came across the post by MAFoElffen (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535) and with the suggestions in the post I managed to install
    Ubuntu 11.04 directly from Ubuntu 10.04 using a LiveCD.
    All I needed to do was interrupt the boot as outlined in the post, get into the grub and boot with the boot option xforcevesa!

It only took me to 3 days to install Ubuntu 11.04!

Good luck.
    Last edited by klpsr; May 14th, 2011 at 07:57 PM.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast