Thread: How to install and configure XEN in ubuntu 10.10 with windows xp as guest

Hybrid View

Lightbulb How to install and configure XEN in ubuntu 10.10 with windows xp as guest

Hi !!
    I am a newbie .I recently migrated fully from windows 7 to ubuntu 10.10. Now ubuntu being my only OS I can not run Autocad and Photoshop etc. I miss some of my favorite games too. So i decided to run an instance of virtual machine to run those. I did a little bit search on the forum and on the net. I thought using xen i can go right away as
    I want to get hardware acceleration in my guest os i.e. windows.. I am trying hard to figure out how to get started with xen . I can use terminal ,not fully though..installed all the available packages from synaptic package manager related to xen. But I am stuck here....Can not get xen up and running.Somebody please help to get along with this. Any step by step instruction or reference to a proper guide would be really appreciated. =D>

My system specifications
    Intel core2duo E7500(with intel VT)
    320GB hard disk 2GB ddr3 ram
    Gigabyte motherboard with intel G41 chipset
    OS= Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat

Beans

Re: How to install and configure XEN in ubuntu 10.10 with windows xp as guest

I dont have much experience with Xen, but you may find virtualbox easier to use for your purposes (I know I do). You can find it in the software center or synaptic.
    A major thing about all virtualization software that I have tried is that you may not find it quite adequate for graphic intense windows apps and games. The biggest reason many of us dual boot.

Quote Originally Posted by restorator View Post
    I dont have much experience with Xen, but you may find virtualbox easier to use for your purposes (I know I do). You can find it in the software center or synaptic.
    A major thing about all virtualization software that I have tried is that you may not find it quite adequate for graphic intense windows apps and games. The biggest reason many of us dual boot.
    Thanks for your reply. I used virtual box in my windows system. But was unable to enable 3d acceleration,which is necessary for many application. whenever i tried to run dxdiag it just stopped working. I found on the net that other guys having linux too have same problem. Anyway I want give a try to virtualize with xen. ANY HELPFUL INFO WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED.

anybody out there!!! please help!!!!!!!!! I would really love to just stick with Ubuntu........You people please make this happen!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by philosophers-stone View Post
    Hi !!
    I am a newbie .I recently migrated fully from windows 7 to ubuntu 10.10. Now ubuntu being my only OS I can not run Autocad and Photoshop etc. I miss some of my favorite games too. So i decided to run an instance of virtual machine to run those. I did a little bit search on the forum and on the net. I thought using xen i can go right away as
    I want to get hardware acceleration in my guest os i.e. windows.. I am trying hard to figure out how to get started with xen . I can use terminal ,not fully though..installed all the available packages from synaptic package manager related to xen. But I am stuck here....Can not get xen up and running.Somebody please help to get along with this. Any step by step instruction or reference to a proper guide would be really appreciated. =D>

My system specifications
    Intel core2duo E7500(with intel VT)
    320GB hard disk 2GB ddr3 ram
    Gigabyte motherboard with intel G41 chipset
    OS= Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Xen
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Cool Re: How to install and configure XEN in ubuntu 10.10 with windows xp as guest

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    I tried that earlier but I could not get my xen running though . Could not get where i was wrong and got stuck . May be that post isn't much updated.I want to use latest xen with windows xp as guest.
    Any way thanks for taking your time to reply!!!