Maverick installation display problem on Dell Optiplex 960
I've just installed 10.10 on a brand new Dell Optiplex 960 machine via the x86_64 live CD. After installation and reboot, the screen(s) are completely blank and the system does not respond. I've seen some complaints about this and saw a solution to add `i915.modeset=1` to the boot parameters, but this has no effect in my case.
Graphics are an NVIDIA Quadro PCIe card. Not sure what else to try.
Re: Maverick installation display problem on Dell Optiplex 960
Unfortunately, the answer seems to be that Linux NVIDIA GPU support still sucks, for reasons not necessarily attributed to Linux. What worked for me:
- Get a recovery session, either via console or the live CD
- Modify the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX line in /etc/grug/default to include the "nomodeset" option
- Add the line "blacklist nouveau" to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
- Reboot and get into a VGA session. Booting from grub at this point should get you the option to run a single "failsafe" X session.
- Click "System -> Administration -> Additional Drivers" and activate the recommended NVIDIA driver for your hadrware (probably the "version current" version)
- Reboot. If necessary after reboot, adjust your NVIDIA settings ("System -> Administration -> NVIDIA X Server Settings")
Also unfortunate: this fix does not help address the VGA display stuff that appears during boot and shutdown, which still looks really bad.
Tags for this Thread