Thread: Replace /Swap partition with Swap file?

Beans
    Hidden!

Angry [SOLVED] Replace /Swap partition with Swap file?

Hello everyone,
    I currently have Ubuntu Desktop 10.10 installed and have a great setup. However, I'm trying to install another OS on the hard drive and need to remove a partition. I've read online that I can remove the Swap partition and use a "Swap file". My question is this:

Is it possible to replace the Swap partition with a "swap file" without having to re-install linux? And if so, how do I accomplish this?

Dual-booting: Mac OS X 10.6.3 / Ubuntu Desktop 10.10
    Macbook Pro 6,1
    2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 4 GB RAM

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Misha
    Last edited by mishathegoat; November 3rd, 2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Replace /Swap partition with Swap file?

I'm currently using a swap file, created with instructions from this page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq
    Nice horns
    It's okay, I'm a limo driver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mishathegoat View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I currently have Ubuntu Desktop 10.10 installed and have a great setup. However, I'm trying to install another OS on the hard drive and need to remove a partition. I've read online that I can remove the Swap partition and use a "Swap file". My question is this:

Is it possible to replace the Swap partition with a "swap file" without having to re-install linux? And if so, how do I accomplish this?
    You can also just resize your existing partitions using an Ubuntu install CD (search for detailed instructions).

After reading up on this, the main issue with a Swap file is the potential for it to be created in a non-contiguous manner (not using a continuous portion of disk space) which may affect performance compared to a Swap partition which is usually created in one single block of disk space.

I had thought that a Swap file would be affected by/affect the filesystem it was associated with, but the Linux kernel bypasses all filesystem components and accesses the disk directly for Swap IO.
    Last edited by dcstar; November 3rd, 2010 at 08:49 AM.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

from 10.04 to 10.10 i use swapspace software and it works great, it creates swap file when needed.
    tox.chat, reactos.org

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by MooPi View Post
    I'm currently using a swap file, created with instructions from this page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq
    Nice horns
    Likewise Heh heh
    Thanks for the quick response, the FAQ was just what I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by dcstar
    You can also just resize your existing partitions using an Ubuntu install CD (search for detailed instructions).

After reading up on this, the main issue with a Swap file is the potential for it to be created in a non-contiguous manner (not using a continuous portion of disk space) which may affect performance compared to a Swap partition which is usually created in one single block of disk space.

I had thought that a Swap file would be affected by/affect the filesystem it was associated with, but the Linux kernel bypasses all filesystem components and accesses the disk directly for Swap IO.
    Thanks for the useful info!

Quote Originally Posted by forcecore
    from 10.04 to 10.10 i use swapspace software and it works great, it creates swap file when needed.
    Thanks, do you happen to remember the name of the software?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

swapspace is name search from synaptic
    tox.chat, reactos.org