Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems installing 10.10 on netbook

Beans

Problems installing 10.10 on netbook

So I tried to install ubuntu 10.10 netbook edition an my toshiba nb200 and after the first reboot more or less something like this appeared

Code:
    modprobe: FATAL: could not load /lib/module/2.6.35-22-generic/ modules dep: no such file or directory

modprobe: FATAL: could not load /lib/module/2.6.35-22-generic/ modules dep: no such file or directory

gave up on waiting for root directory. common problems:
    -boot args (cat/proc/cmd line)
    -check rootdealy=(did the system wait long enough?)
    -check root=(did the system wait for the right device?)
    -missing modules (cat/proc/modules, ls/dev)

ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/f786c992-1803-4d1c-b35c-acd1057df7ab does not exist.

Dropping to a shell!

BusyBox v1.15.3(ubuntu 1.1.15.3-1ubuntu5)buil-in shell(ash)
    Eneter 'Help' for a list of built-in commands)

(initramfs)_
    since its a netbook, I installed via pendrive.
    help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Problems installing 10.10 on netbook

Were these messages received when you were trying to reboot with the pendrive plugged in or out?
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

happened in both situations.

Beans

luismgl, this may not be related to your case, I had a problem installing 10.10 for netbooks. I used Unetbootin as described on ubuntu.com site. I can't recall now exactly whether I was dropped to BusyBox like yourself or whether I had a kernel panic.
    I my particular case, the was no initrd.gz image in the /boot folder. Whether Unetbootin is a culprit or Ubuntu installer, I don't know. One thing I know is that this error happened when the disk I was installing 10.10 to had other partitions. Once I wiped the disk clean and install 10.10 by default to the whole partition the predicament vanished.
    Is the ramdisk initrd.img-2.6.35-22-generic in the /boot directory of the newly installed 10.10?

Beans

its a fresh format and I'm using the full partition. to make my flash drive bootable I used Universal-USB-Installer-1.8.0.8 -> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/

I've tried 3x formatting and 2 different pens. all with different outcomes (the other 2 formates it froze somewhere in the system install part)

Beans

anyone knows what to do?

Beans

@ Abir valg I've tried unetbootin once, I'm now giving it another try. If this doesn't work I dunno what I will do :/
    I know that the other solution would be an external dvd drive, but I don't own one nor I plan to.

Beans

Again failure. I'm going to try another linux distro in the morning, going for jolicloud, will report later then

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I believe those first 2 messages you see:

Code:
    are not the problem and can be ignored - I have a working 10.10 machine that started printing that after 10.10 upgrade (but it runs fine). Suspect this will disappear in a few kernel upgrades time (google it).

Last USB based install I did, I had installation / boot problems (not your one exactly) but my resolution was to use a different USB stick. I still don't know why.

Beans

thank you for your reply ubansky
    I actually tried 2 different pen drives, and one of them was new, I also tried 2 different software's that are said to work and nothing. Today I tried jolicloud with their own software to make the pen drive bootable and it worked like a charm! In fact I was surprised on how fast the whole process was. So as for now I'm sticking with this one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast