Thread: macbook air 3.2 doesn't boot usb installer

Beans

macbook air 3.2 doesn't boot usb installer

Trying to install Ubuntu 10.10 on new Apple Macbook Air 3.2 with USB key. I'm able to partition and install REFIT fine, but when I tell REFIT to boot from the USB key, it goes to black and says "boot error".

I then tried dd'ing the USB key partition to a local partition on the Macbook Air and booting that via a suggestion from another thread. It actually started loading the purple Ubuntu bootsplash-looking background then went straight to black even before the screen to select "try" or "install". Anyone know how to get the install USB to boot?

Beans

Re: macbook air 3.2 doesn't boot usb installer

Keep going down the partition route, I don't think you'll get it to boot of USB.

Boot from the partition and when the screen goes purple (are there icons at the bottom of the screen?) then press a key and hopefully you'll get a language choice, then press F6 and choose the nomodeset option, escape and continue as normal.

Beans

Re: macbook air 3.2 doesn't boot usb installer

That worked and I was finally able to boot the install iso off the harddrive. The next problem is installing. The installer wants me to umount "/cdrom" which is the install iso. It says it needs to edit the partition table so I can't have partitions on the same physical disk mounted. Anyone know how to get the installer to attempt to install without changing the partition table?