Thread: Enable Wireless grayed out after resume from suspect with BCM4312

Beans
    Hidden!

Enable Wireless grayed out after resume from suspect with BCM4312

I recently installed 10.10 Maverick on a lenovo S12, and I've been having problems with the wireless connection. First I installed the Broadcom B43 driver. This driver seems to work well except upon resume, I'm no longer connected, and wireless is disabled, and the 'enable wireless' is grayed out and I can't seem to find a way to enable it besides a restart.

I tried what is suggested in this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1169016
    namely:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/pm/config.d/config
    put:

Code:
    SUSPEND_MODULES="b43"
    this doesn't seem to have any effect

I also tried the Broadcom STA driver. This was only better in that after resuming it tried to reconnect, but never managed to. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Beans

Re: Enable Wireless grayed out after resume from suspect with BCM4312

Code:

sudo lshw -c network

*-network
           description: Wireless interface
           product: BCM4313 802.11b/g LP-PHY
           vendor: Broadcom Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:12:00.0
           logical name: eth1
           version: 01
           serial: 1c:65:9d:76:f0:de
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=wl0 driverversion=5.60.48.36 ip=192.168.1.103 latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
           resources: irq:17 memory:fbc00000-fbc03fff
      *-network
           description: Ethernet interface
           product: RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
           vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:13:00.0
           logical name: eth0
           version: 02
           serial: f0:4d:a2:a2:12:da
           size: 10MB/s
           capacity: 100MB/s
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
           configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=half latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=MII speed=10MB/s
           resources: irq:45 ioport:e000(size=256) memory:d0b10000-d0b10fff memory:d0b00000-d0b0ffff memory:fb200000-fb21ffff
    Code:
    lspci -vv

12:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
    	Subsystem: Dell Device 0010
    	Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
    	Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
    	Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
    	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 17
    	Region 0: Memory at fbc00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    	Capabilities: <access denied>
    	Kernel driver in use: wl
    	Kernel modules: wl
    Kernel driver is use: wl.

'wl' worked fine for me. Suspend doesn't really work consistently but the networking does resume now.

Try using wl instead.

Beans

Hey,

I've got a Lenovo B560 with Broadcom WiFi

Code:
    od@minion:~$ lspci -nnk |grep Net
    04:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4727] (rev 01)
    It works with wl driver compiled from Broadcoms most recent source code and a 2.6.35-23-generic kernel.

Code:
    od@minion:~$ dmesg |grep eth1
    [    6.961425] eth1: Broadcom BCM4727 802.11 Hybrid Wireless Controller 5.60.246.6
    it works until I suspend to RAM or disk. After resume I had to unload/load the wl module and manually activate wireless connections in KNetworkManager.

A Bug report on this issue has already been filed (which I can't find right now) against network-manager so it might be fixed some day.

Until then, this works for me:
    - unload wl module
    - load wl module
    - bring up eth1
    - restart networking
    - restart network-manager
    - wait 1 second
    - send dbus command to enable wifi

all this steps can be automated after resume by a script in /etc/pm/sleep.d/90fixwifi.sh

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

. "${PM_FUNCTIONS}"

resume_wifi()
    {
            # Remove and reload the module for the wifi card
            modprobe -rf wl
            modprobe wl

# bring up interface
            ifconfig eth1 up

# restart networking and network-manager
            restart networking
            restart network-manager

# wait a sec
            sleep 1

# enables wifi in Networkmanager
            dbus-send --system --type=method_call --dest=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Set string:org.freedesktop.NetworkManager string:WirelessEnabled variant:boolean:true
    }

case "$1" in
            thaw|resume)
                    resume_wifi
                    ;;
            *) exit $NA
                    ;;
    don't forget to make the script executable!

Thats it. It takes some time because the connection has to be reestablished (scan, dhcp ...) but it works.

... Problem is: wifi get's activated every time after suspend. Even if it was disabled on purpose before. I'll add this and post further progress in my thread.

Maybe you wanna try wicd. It replaces network-manager, is very stable and comes with a nice gtk GUI. I've tested it in Ubuntu/Gnome and it worked fine but didn't like to have it in Kubuntu/KDE. PM me if You need to know how it's done.

regards
    Oliver
    Last edited by dr_oliver; December 16th, 2010 at 04:41 PM.

Beans

I stumbled on a similar problem

after suspending or hibernating though wireless would be disabled so I would have to right click and enable it again pretty annying. I'm sure some of you guys are having the same problem. It took me some time but I created a script to solve this problem

create a file in /ect/pm/sleep.d name it for example enable-wireless.sh
    then make it executable using
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /etc/pm/sleep.d/enable-wireless.sh
    now open it using

Code:
    sudo gedit
    then put this script in there

Code:

#!/bin/bash
    case "$1" in
        hibernate|suspend)
            ;;
        thaw|resume)        
        rfkill unblock wifi
        sleep 1    
        nmcli nm wifi on
            ;;
        *)
            ;;
    esac
    exit $?
    save and try suspending and hibernating. I'm still sort of a noob at this so sorry for the unorthodox instruction maybe someone can clean this up. I hope it helps though

I am running an aspire one 721-3922 using 10.10 64 bit
    Last edited by opasnost; February 5th, 2011 at 09:03 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

As a follow up, the script above, posted by opasnost worked for me, so thanks for that! There are a few small caveats, and some extra notes I'd like to leave.

The first thing I'd like to note is that opasnost seems to be mostly upset that he'd have to right click and re-enable wifi after suspend. For me, when I try to do that, nothing happens and upon right clicking again, "Enable Wireless" is grayed out, and it seemed the only way to fix it was to reboot. I would be (and am) perfectly happy to right click and re-enable every time.

The second thing is that I do have to right click and re-enable everytime. The "nmcli nm wifi on" part of the script is supposed to handle this, but doesn't seem to. I tried to tell it to sleep for longer (up to 15) incase the rfkill part of the script was not finished yet, but this doesn't seem to help.

rfkill is what really fixes this all for me. This is not something that is installed by default, so you'll have to install it. For me running

Code:
    rfkill list
    while everything was working resulted in:

Code:
    0: acer-wireless: Wireless LAN
    	Soft blocked: yes
    	Hard blocked: no
    1: phy0: Wireless LAN
    	Soft blocked: no
    After suspend, the results change to:

Code:
    0: acer-wireless: Wireless LAN
    	Soft blocked: yes
    2: phy0: Wireless LAN
    	Soft blocked: no
    	Hard blocked: yes
    It seems to be this hard block on phy0 that causes the problems. This is undone by the part of the script
    Code:
    rfkill unblock wifi
    Additionally I would like to note that the wl and b43legacy drivers do not help my problem at all. I tried turning the wireless on from commandline with
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    and this resulted in an error:
    Code:
    SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not possible due to RF-kill
    which is what lead me to rfkill in the first place. Also, it was suggested to me to simply turn the physical wifi switch to off before suspending, and then turning it back on after resuming would fix it. This was also did not work.

Sorry this is long, but maybe it will help out someone else who had the trouble I did. I'd love to get it so I don't have to right click and re-enable, but this is so much better than before. Thanks again everyone for your help.