Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: other than Gnome, KDE and XFCE what are you using?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

other than Gnome, KDE and XFCE what are you using?

other than Gnome, KDE and XFCE what are you using?

anyone recommend any other Desktop enviroments to try in ubuntu 10.10?

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: other than Gnome, KDE and XFCE what are you using?

There is Lubuntu. Other than that try Window Managers. Openbox and Awesome are two of my favorites.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    There is Lubuntu. Other than that try Window Managers. Openbox and Awesome are two of my favorites.
    thanks I will give those a try

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

E17 is utterly amazing, very old, but still years ahead of anything out there. Kind of unstable. LXDE is nice, but its very limited in what it can do. Blackbox, then there is Awesome DE. I am personally finding love for KDE slowly but surely again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by usagiakumu View Post
    E17 is utterly amazing, very old, but still years ahead of anything out there. Kind of unstable. LXDE is nice, but its very limited in what it can do. Blackbox, then there is Awesome DE. I am personally finding love for KDE slowly but surely again.
    thanks for that, looks like im gonna be busy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What would be the best way to try out and experiment with new DE's? Installing VM Ware?
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

if I install 6 different desktop environments is it gonna make any trouble or can I simply switch between them like I do with kde and gnome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How can you switich between KDE and Gnome? Wont that harm your system at all? Is it possible to have two different DE's running at the same time? I thought that would bugger Ubuntu up on some level, or at least make it slow and bloated..
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

How can you switich between KDE and Gnome? Wont that harm your system at all? Is it possible to have two different DE's running at the same time? I thought that would bugger Ubuntu up on some level, or at least make it slow and bloated..
    I have tried installing kde on my lucid remix and you are right. It went slow. Maybe having multi-DE is too hard for netbook's specs. I don't know

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am using Xmonad as my tiling window manager, which has a very minimal user experience. Everything can be configured using a Haskell script, which means you can change almost any aspect of the window manager. The applications I am using are mostly from Gnome. I would advise trying this out, it's great!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast