Thread: Problem with OCZ Vertex Turbo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Problem with OCZ Vertex Turbo

I just got a OCZ Vertex Turbo SSD from our IT Department for testing purposes.
    I inserted it into a lenovo T61 and tried to Install Ubuntu 10.10 (64-bit variant), from the Standard Install CD on it. It does recognize the harddrive, but it throws me tons of errors and Installations fails at formatting/partitioning the drive

I have posted a few lines out of the syslog that refer to that issue (the keep repeating itself thousands of times): http://ubuntu.pastebin.com/yg4x1ED7

Is there a known problem with that device? Do I need to follow any special steps in Order to use the drive? It installed "Windows 7" in my colleague's test before without any problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Re: Problem with OCZ Vertex Turbo

Doesn't OCZ provide a program to do a clean erase and/or to test it? I could not find anything on OCZ's website like that, but there is apparently a program you can get if you do 10 posts to their forum http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...-of-Vertex-SSD

I got an 80 GB Intel X25-M and Intel has a program for download to test or secure erase their own devices, and I believe it also can run short or long generic tests on other drives. I used a 4 year old Toshiba laptop to install 64-bit Maverick on it without any issues. For sudo hdparm -t I got 120 GB/sec the SSD (limited by SATA I) vs. 31 MB/sec for its slow 4200 RAM hard drive. On my desktop w/SATA II, the SSD reads 250 MB/sec vs. 117 MB/sec for Seagate 7200 RPM drive.

I think I read somewhere that an SSD drive is erased by writing all ones to it instead of all zeros, but I could be wrong about that.