Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [ubuntu] Triple boot

Beans

Post [ubuntu] Remove Fedora from triple boot (scroll to bottom)

I want triple boot Windows 7, Ubuntu 10.04 and Fedora 13. I already have Windows and Ubuntu installed. I just wanted to know how to do this without screwing up GRUB (or the MBR for that matter). Do I just cancel Fedora installing the bootloader or will it pick up my dual boot like it says in the manual?

If I cancel it, how do I add Fedora to the bootloader afterwards? I'm guessing:

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Sorry if I ask some nooby questions, I've just never tried triple-booting before and this is my main, important computer (which also happens to be my only computer) and just want to be cautious.

Thanks
    Last edited by hittingray; November 1st, 2010 at 12:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: [ubuntu] Triple boot

Welcome to the Forum!!!

What grub does fedora use? 2 or legacy.

vader95

Beans

Fedora uses Grub legacy I think it should detect you ubuntu and windows 7 installs
    pentium4 geforce 9400 1gb ram

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have successfully installed both ubuntu and openSUSE(which uses legacy) to the same hard drive as windows. SUSE did not pick up ubuntu, but i got it working, so if you need help let me know.

Beans

This is what I did to make a triple boot system with U10.04, Fedora 13, and Win2000.

Before starting make sure you have any and all data backed up, any recovery disks handy, your “live” CD/DVDs, and get yourself a copy of the “Super Grub2” disk (see reference below) just in case.

Make sure you have some unallocated space.

During this entire process proceed slowly and verify ever choice and click more than once to ensure you are targeting the correct partition.

Since you already have a dual-booting system with Win7, the F13 system should just be a simple add-on.

So I started with this and your setup should be similar:

sda1 = w2000 (came with the Lap Top)
    sda5 = U10.04LTS with Grub2
    sda6 = swap
    sda7 = Home (Ubuntu's home dirs)
    unallocated space

Natively F13 installs with a boot partition and a LVM setup for the rest. This I did NOT get to work and “grub-update” did not find these partitions. What I did make work was loading F13 on a normal partition and loading the F13 boot loader to that partition, not sure if the F13 boot loader is require but load it anyway.

I didn't take any screen shots so you will just have to look at the F13 install options to set that up. I used custom partitions and made sure that the boot loader will install on the F13 partition in my case that would be sda8, you most likely will have a different partition setup. No need for multiple swap partitions, just use the Ubuntu swap partition, it should be of appropriate size already. If you are giving F13 a separate home partition do not reuse Ubuntu's home partition, keep them unique.

After F13 and the F13 boot loader were installed I booted up into Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and ran “sudo grub-update” and made sure it found the OS's or partitions for a) w2000, b) U10.04LTS, and c) F13. I ended up with this configuration:

sda1 = w2000
    sda5 = U10.04LTS
    sda6 = swap
    sda7 = Home (Ubuntu's home dirs)
    sda8 = F13 with F13 boot loader
    sda9 = Home (Fedora's home dirs)

I DO NOT use the same “home” partition for U10.04 and F13. Each has its own distinct “home” partition and directories.

Boot up into F13 and get all the updates, most likely there will be a kernel update in there, then boot back into Ubuntu and run the grub-update, that should catch any F13 kernel updates.

Notes:
    Partition names need to be unique.
    Since I am using the U10.04LTS grub2 to maintain the boot menu, I have to use the U10.04LTS grub2 to update the boot menu after any F13 kernel updates. Not a big deal just need to keep that in mind.
    And “swap is swap”, since this is dual/triple booting no need for multiple swap partitions. So I just made sure that F13 found my sda6 swap partition and used it.
    Both implementations U10.04LTS and F13 use the Gnome desktop manager.

A big Thank You goes out to all the people who posted on this and the Fedora website.

Hope this helps.

George

Reference and Credits:

Ubuntu post subject: How to Dual boot Ubuntu 10.04 and Fedora 13?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1529004
    Ubuntu post subject: GRUB 2 A Guide for Users
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106368.0
    Fedora post subject: HowTo Install Fedora 10/11/12 DVD from a 4GB USB stick
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=205596
    Super Grub2
    http://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/
    Ubuntu User 29830, Linux User 500817

Beans

Ok, so here's my setup:

sda1: Windows 7
    sda2: IBM Recovery (came with the computer)
    sdb1: Storage (files, games etc.)
    sdb2: iTunes (separate HDD for all my library)
    sdb3: Swap
    sdb4: Ubuntu 10.04 (Home is here as well, mounted at /)

And then 13GB of unallocated space which would become sdb5

Edit: I just remembered you can't have more than 4 primary partitions, so I'm going to backup and remove the Recovery and put the swap there and give Fedora the extra 2.3GB that the swap has on sdb.

2nd Edit: Should I mount Fedora at / as well? I have Ubuntu mounted there, will it make a didfference? (Sorry, noob at triple booting and dual booting 2 Linux systems >.<)

3rd Edit: Boot Info Script results file attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by hittingray; November 1st, 2010 at 07:37 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Any which way you want to partition your drives is up to you. All you have to do when
    you install fedora 13 is to not install grub at all. There is a point in the installation of fedora
    (anaconda I think the name is, the installation) where it asks you where to put grub just uncheck the box I believe and choose none. You get the drift just do not install a grub.
    Then boot into Ubuntu install when done with Fedora install and:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    os-prober will go out and find your installs and put them in grub-config and your
    boot menu and you will be set.
    If you install grub legacy you will then have to run set of commands with live cd to get grub2 back in mbr (master boot record) as the grub device to use. Grub2 and grub legacy
    do not like each other much so could turn into pain in the rear. Advise just to not install grub-legacy at all.
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:

Beans

That was the main answer I was looking for, thanks. I'm gonna go ahead with the installation now, I'll let you guys know how it goes and if anything goes wrong, thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Here is a link for Fedora post installation guide. It is a bit different and not as user friendly as Ubuntu. But this guide will help some
    fedora 12 and 13 post installation about the same.

http://www.my-guides.net/en/content/view/174/26/
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:

Beans

It seems to be stuck at package 1110 :/, dang.

After a couple of retries, I've finished installing it and no issues what so ever. Thanks

Edit: Cancel that, it has too many issues, including not picking up my GeForce 6200 and only my integrated one.

How do I remove it without screwing up GRUB2 =.=" Can I just remove the Fedora partition and then "sudo update-grub" and that's all?
    Last edited by hittingray; November 1st, 2010 at 02:07 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast