Thread: 12.04 update: high CPU with foobar2000 & wine

Beans

12.04 update: high CPU with foobar2000 & wine

Howdy and Happy Friday!

After an update (or two...) to 12.04, foobar2000 w/wine(server) are using a lot of CPU (by 'top' or 'conky'):
    - foobar: about 50% CPU
    - wineserver: about 40% CPU

Version = wine-1.5.7
    FWIW, I'm using fluxbox (probably doesn't matter).

An associated symptom may be "scratchy" sound from VLC (and nothing else), which had also run fine before updates; sometimes it complains and then sounds OK, then it's back the way it was. I've reinstalled everything directly involved (foobar, pulse, wine, alsa) a couple of times.

Before the update(s) I was seeing about 2-3% CPU for each of them: lower than rhythmbox, etc. I'd rather fix this than re-install from the CD (where everything worked perfectly fine!)

Audition w/wine runs normally, whether recording or playing.

I've fiddled with the audio settings in both winefcg and foobar and it makes no difference other than sometimes shutting the sound off. Same with VLC.

Running foobar gives this:

Code:
    $ foobar
    p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
    fixme:winediag:AUDDRV_GetAudioEndpoint Winepulse is not officially supported by the wine project
    fixme:winediag:AUDDRV_GetAudioEndpoint For sound related feedback and support, please visit http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1960599
    fixme:win:RegisterShellHookWindow (0x10066): stub
    fixme:avrt:AvSetMmThreadCharacteristicsW (L"Playback",0x291e8c8): stub
    fixme:avrt:AvSetMmThreadCharacteristicsW (L"Playback",0x2a1e9f8): stub
    "foobar" =
    Code:
    cd /home/myname/.wine/drive_c/software/foobar2000 
    wine foobar2000.exe &
    Following the instructions at the link in the error msg gives these errors instead (it plays and the CPU remains high):

Code:
    $ foobar
    /home/lemur/bin p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
    ALSA lib conf.c:3314:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
    fixme:win:RegisterShellHookWindow (0x10066): stub
    fixme:avrt:AvSetMmThreadCharacteristicsW (L"Playback",0x281e8c8): stub
    fixme:avrt:AvSetMmThreadCharacteristicsW (L"Playback",0x291e9f8): stub
    I have libasound2 installed. And reinstalled.

I may have had the similar errors before the updates; don't usually run it from cmd-line, so dunno...

Any ideas? (please don't suggest using rhythmbox, etc; they all kinda suck).

Edit: I installed "ia32-libs" (and about 100 extras that go with it) - no change.
    Last edited by flemur13013; June 29th, 2012 at 05:10 PM.

Beans

[SOLVED] 12.04 update: high CPU with foobar2000 & wine

Solved:
    purge wine (1.5), purge pulseaudio,
    install wine 1.4, install pulseaudio.

foobar ~ 2.4% CPU, wineserver ~ 0.8 % CPU. Much more betterer.

I think I'd installed wine 1.5 for some problem with photoshop....the latest gimp is pretty usable, so p-shop is finally gone.

I still get the gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so error, but it doesn't seem to matter.

++

I can't figger out to mark this thread "solved"* other than to type it into the title....there's no "Thread tools" menu ...?
    EDIT: "Thread tools" goes away when you're Replying...clever!
    Last edited by flemur13013; June 29th, 2012 at 06:28 PM.