Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK Supplier of Desktop PCs pre-installed with Ubuntu

Question UK Supplier of Desktop PCs pre-installed with Ubuntu

My desktop has recently given up the ghost, and I'm looking to buy a new one. I'd like to buy a computer with Ubuntu preinstalled if possible (as I don't use Windows at all).

Dell UK have stopped supplying Ubuntu systems (I asked their customer supporter), and Efficient PC (http://www.efficientpc.co.uk/), a UK supplier, doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Can anyone recommend a UK Company to buy a UbuntuPC from?

Beans

Re: UK Supplier of Desktop PCs pre-installed with Ubuntu

What about buying a "clean" PC with no OS on it and installing from a CD? If I can do it anyone can . Looking at same for my parents at the moment and suspect it will be about £200 for what they need it to do.

Quote Originally Posted by malcmail View Post
    What about buying a "clean" PC with no OS on it and installing from a CD? If I can do it anyone can . Looking at same for my parents at the moment and suspect it will be about £200 for what they need it to do.
    Yes, that's what I'll probably do if no-one has any recommendations.

I'd like to buy a computer preinstalled because it usually indicates that the manufacturer has chosen hardware for which there are decent Linux drivers, as well as simply supporting companies who supply Linux PCs.

Beans

Ah gotcha. The only one I knew of was Dell so when I actually opened this thread I was done lol. Mine came from eclipse computers (well mostly) and no probs so far if that at all helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have seen numerous UK sellers with Ubuntu preinstalled, but they are all somewhat expensive when compared with a Dell machine or similar. Have you considered building one?

Compatible desktop hardware is not that hard to figure out: CPUs, RAM and HDs are not an issue, 99% motherboards will be supported, then go with an nvidia GPU if you'd like one. Wireless cards are tricky but eBay has a few Linux compatible options.

If that is too much work then PM me and I can send you a quote myself, I built and sold roughly 20 Ubuntu desktops this year through eBay, all of whom were happy with what they got.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I attempted some time ago to purchase a laptop from Novatech without an OS as I wished to download Ubuntu. I found to my horror that the system would not accept the OS.

Novatach have some good systems and prices and I would advise that if you look at these that you ensure that the OS will be able to be loaded. Suggest that you e-mail them as when I initially spoke to them they were vague.

Hope this assists
    If you are here to drink to forget please pay in advance.

Intel Dual Core T2390 1.86Ghz; Intel GMA x 3100 graphics, Atheros AR242x802.11 a/b/g. 1GB RAM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Scunnered View Post
    I attempted some time ago to purchase a laptop from Novatech without an OS as I wished to download Ubuntu. I found to my horror that the system would not accept the OS.
    I've been using Novatech laptops (without an OS/Windows Tax) for more than 4 years, and never encounted this problem. Granted, I've had some issues with "wireless cards not working out of the box". But have always managed to find solutions/work arounds from either this forum or the net.

Novatech Support isn't that great regarding Linux problems, but they do have a small active Linux Group on their Forum page that is quite helpful.
    Last edited by Greyhair; December 11th, 2010 at 11:11 PM.

Beans

Greyhair... which Novatech laptops are you referring to? I have been looking at Novatech laptops with the intention of posting on this site for advice. The one I have been looking at is the Novatech Eclipse.. buying without an os and installing ubuntu on it...anyone have any experience.
    Thanks Andy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Probably not quite what your looking for, but I fancy one of these;

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/236579...edium=products

Linpus Linux is supposed to be pants but it all works with Ubuntu out of the box (according to the reviews).
    Dell Inspiron 1501 AMD Sempron, 4GB RAM, 120GB HDD, running 14.04 64Bit
    Dell Latitude D830 Centrino duo 4GB RAM 320GB HDD, running 13.10 64Bit
    Raspberry Pi running Rasbian
    Ubuntu User #32384

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by andypearce View Post
    Greyhair... which Novatech laptops are you referring to? I have been looking at Novatech laptops with the intention of posting on this site for advice. The one I have been looking at is the Novatech Eclipse.. buying without an os and installing ubuntu on it...anyone have any experience.
    Thanks Andy.
    Currently I am using an old SANTA ROSA and a lightweight X40. My eldest son has X16 Pro and my daughter has a X10 netbook. All running various flavours of Ubuntu. I'm also looking to replace the SANTA ROSA with the ECLIPSE in the next month or two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast