Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VERY SLOW system with Lenovo G550

Beans

VERY SLOW system with Lenovo G550

Hello !

I installed Ubuntu 10.10 one week ago on my brand new Lenovo G550 . Everything went fine, the wifi and the graphics chip were recognized .

But there is one problem : my system becomes awfully slow after some inactivity => The mouse moves very slowly, when I type with the keyboard, it takes nearly 10~15 seconds to see what I wrote, the sound gets distorted etc... When I move the mouse or type something for 3~4 secondes, those symptoms disappear, and as soon as I take my hands of my mouse or keyboard, they reappear .

I went to Gnome System Monitor to see which process caused that : nothing anormal, no excessive CPU and/or memory usage !! Same observation with other tools like "top" .

I tested Maverick Meerkat with other laptops ( an Acer Aspire and a Toshiba ), and I didn't notice these symptoms .

So it has something to do with incompatibility issues with my Lenovo .

Can someone help me to identify the source of theses issues ?

Thanks !

Beans

Re: VERY SLOW system with Lenovo G550

I just tried Ubuntu 10.04 and there were no slow downs . So the problem is definitely with Ubuntu 10.10 .

Beans

Sorry for bumping, but my laptop has been unusable for nearly a week ... Am I the only one with this problem ?

I can't downgrade to the 10.04 because Lucid's Intel drivers don't support the X4500 very well ( artefacts at random moments ), but Maverick's ones do .

Beans

You are not the only one, man. Same pc and same problem.

Beans

Glad to see that I'm not the only one !

Can someone help me/us please to see which program is responsible for this so that I/we can fill a bug report at Launchpad ?

No Ubuntu developers interested in this bug ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Same problem. Today my wireless crashed. Have this problems for weeks with hope that everything is going to be Ok like on 10.4. Im seriously thinking about reinstall 10.4. till better times come.
    Few days ware fine, but in last few days have issues with compiz, it gets really slow and kinda choppy.
    Typing in writer takes few sec to do word.
    But, sometimes after restart it gets fine.
    On start up have note like: FATAL: Could not load/lib/modules 2.6.35-32-generic/

Hope some help will come soon

In meanwhile Im goin to take a look around for any solutions.

Beans

Hello !

I gave up the 10.10, and because no one helped me to identify the source of the issues ( so that I can fill targeted bug reports and help things getting better, but hey, if no one is interested, it's ok ! ), I reinstalled the LTS 10.04 . It works fine provided that you install the packages from xorg-edgers ( otherwise, you'll see some screen flickering because of the official Lucid xorg packages ) .

Beans

I'm pretty sure there was another thread about the stalling issues. I can't find it right now though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just same problem (and same PC) here. I have tried with 64bit Ubuntu 10.10, has anyone tried with a 32 bit version?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by innerd View Post
    You are not the only one, man. Same pc and same problem.
    I have the same machine, the boradcom adapter sucks big time, I switch it for a intel A/B/G miniPCI and it rocks now. Just tow cents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast