Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adventure Game Studio IDE Goes Open Source

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Adventure Game Studio IDE Goes Open Source

I consider this to be really big, important news. Depending on how far the word can be spread and how well the community could try pitching in, I'd love to see the Linux game dev community grow as a result of this.

For those of you who didn't even know what AGS is, it's a game IDE for Windows. I've used it for years and loved it, and there was really nothing for Mac or Linux with AGS aside from shoddily-put-together game runtimes.

Anyways, Chris Jones, the developer of AGS, has decided to open up the source code to his editor, although the compiler itself is still closed (though it's noteworthy to mention that a new compiler can be swapped in to the editor technically. He's slowly open-sourcing it in stages to "test the waters" so to speak.

Anyways, the editor is written in .NET v2.0, and can actually be built with Mono, provided you have the Win.Forms libraries. One fellow managed to get it built and running on OpenSUSE natively.

Screenshot Here

Anyways, I just figured I'd post this as there's been interest for quite some time in porting the editor over to Mono, and eventually re-writing a UI in either Qt# or GTK#. If there are any Mono devs interested in trying to port it, write a new UI in a more Linux-friendly toolkit, or submit patches to aid portability, feel free to check out this thread.

Anyways, it's exciting to see this development come through. AGS is a great developer for the less-technical programmers (specifically indie game designers), and could aid in the development of many, many native AGS Linux games. Heck, the AGS community alone pumps out dozens and dozens of games every couple months, even a small fraction of that would be a huge boost to the Linux gaming community.

Beans

Re: Adventure Game Studio IDE Goes Open Source

Okay, now I'm interested. I have the source open in MonoDevelop and I'm trying to build it. However, I get the following error in DialogOption.cs when building:

"The private field 'AGS.Types.DialogOption._entryPointOffset' is defined but its value is never used."

Anybody have a clue what to do?
    Last edited by Quadunit404; October 28th, 2010 at 01:40 AM.
    No longer active here.

Beans
    Distro

I got to about that point and got stuck. Do you have Win.Forms libraries?

Beans

Pretty sure I do. Let me check Synaptic...

Yep, I do have Win.Forms libraries installed. They're for CLI 1.0 and 2.0.
    No longer active here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Re: Adventure Game Studio IDE Goes Open Source

One of the things we're waiting on at the moment is for Chris to create a source repository for the AGS Editor code.

DeadSuperHero? Smiley is the one on the AGS forums who got it to compile on OpenSUSE - so if you haven't already, PM him about it. From his post on the AGS forums it does look like he had to do a fair bit to get it to compile (not just Win.Forms - stuff like PInvoke).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

If you wanted to get support from devs then it might have been better to post in the programming section.

I will be following this development with interest because in my opinion there isn't enough easy to use game development tools available on Linux.

I would really love to help out but Im afraid my Mono experience is very, very lacking!
    Ive only used MonoDevelop once in my life!
    Projects - PhotoFlare Image Editor | Xwii | URT-2D | BHR
    Hardware - System 76 - Galago UltraPro

Beans

You should cross post in the Gaming and Leisure forum: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=93

More interest over there on Linux games.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I did some analysis of this.

There are two problems:

1) It uses a closed-source audio library called irrKlang, which cannot run on Ubuntu (it must be ported to use a different audio library)

2) It uses a closed-source library, AGS.Native.dll, which is written in Managed C++ (which is not portable via Mono)
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

i love what your doing, keep up the great work.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    I did some analysis of this.

There are two problems:

1) It uses a closed-source audio library called irrKlang, which cannot run on Ubuntu (it must be ported to use a different audio library)

2) It uses a closed-source library, AGS.Native.dll, which is written in Managed C++ (which is not portable via Mono)
    1) You mentioned on Twitter the possibility of using SDL as a backend, I seem to recall. Where would one even start with hooking this into the code to remove the irrKlang dependency?

2) Yeah, currently that library remains closed for no real reason other than the author wanting to keep it closed. This makes it kind of difficult to get the editor itself to build anything natively.

A third problem is the Win.Forms dependency, just mainly because it doesn't integrate at all on Linux natively. As I've been told by sslaxx in the AGS thread, swapping out the toolkit is non-trivial, as an entire interface would need to be designed and implemented from scratch, although perhaps it would be beneficial to lay that groundwork in place while we're waiting for Chris Jones to open up that final bit of the engine?

If you want, I can try and start up an AGS Linux project page on Launchpad, and we can try taking the existing code and re-factoring it piece by piece to address the existing issues while we wait for it to go fully open. At the very least it would get some of the problems out of the way and at least make most of the engine buildable in and of itself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast